Not Sure About New Fuji

Discussion of all digital SLR cameras under the Minolta and Konica Minolta brands
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Not Sure About New Fuji

Unread post by peterottaway »

Apart from the price which just went up on an Australian website, of AUD 2549 when the same dealer is offering the Nikon D750 for AUD 2275 and a pre order on the D 500 for AUD 2649 what is the point of an X-Pro 2 rather than an X-T 2 ?

I would regard the T 2 as a mass market camera rather than a limited edition affectation like the Pro 2. Perhaps Fuji is not able at this point to produce or obtain enough of the parts required to commence serious production ? Or is this just an initial shakedown model to debug the new system ?
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: Not Sure About New Fuji

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Prices must be really bad down under EU prices are not great but the D750 is just a bit more than the Fuji, a D610 is under £1000 now
Honestly one for Fuji owners nothing wrong with APS-C but I don't see it working you can only get so much for a crop body camera
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

I'm not sure that pricing is rational full stop when it comes to new releases. Fuji and Nikon are both introducing their new cameras at a similar price but I would suspect that there is a larger market demand for the Nikon D500 even if you can buy two D7200 for the same money. Or for about AUD 1700 there is the Nikon D610 and for AUD 1900 there is the Sony A7 II.

There has been so many years of a built up hype about where is the replacement for the D300 (s) ? With camera numbers still in decline there are obvious benefits to Nikons bottom line in forcing up the profit margin. But with the Fuji there will be a group of early adopters and then what ? Surely to boost their sale numbers the introduction of an X-T2 would have been a better long term decision, and with X-T1 bodies now selling for AUD 1199 a way of getting a better price for each camera sold.

I don't have an axe to grind about either model but I just wonder exactly what the proud new owners are getting for their money. Just like at AUD 8600 you will be able get yourself a new Nikon D5. It makes the higher priced Sony A7 camera positively cheap.
classiccameras
Viceroy

Unread post by classiccameras »

Fuji also need to address their lens pricing, they are not competitive and choice is limited compared to Nikon
classiccameras
Viceroy

Fuji also need to address their lens pricing, they are not competitive and choice is limited compared to Nikon
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Fuji just don't have the volume of lens sales to match either Canon or Nikon so that their production costs are spread over a much smaller number of lenses. Also the Fuji X mount is only 3 years old so they are paying very much modern coasts when Canikon have lenses that have been around for much longer.

For very many photographers they will be able to get what they need from the Fuji range even if they are not have the for choice of the old Duopoly. Mind you that large numbers does not always mean quality of choice either. Thom Hogan has certainly also been critical of the choice offered by Nikon in its APS lenses.

What is frustrating is that the X mount has little support with companies such as Sigma and Tamron. You also need yo to consider that Fuji's camera and lens pricing is about market placement and they will add to the range according to what they think will sell to their identified customer base.
bfitzgerald

Fuji's lack of IBIS is a major downer that's what I found, despite liking the DR of the sensor the low light is a full stop off what's being reported so that good ISO 3200 is really only 1600, 6400 is borderline and really closer to 3200..not really any better than APS-C DSLR's

I found despite the better sensor, that no IBIS is a problem. No primes in their range have it, even some should have it lenses (16-55mm F2.8) don't have it. Real turn off. Prices are mixed some are a bit heavy some are not as bad.

Fuji lenses are sharp with good resolution, but many have poor bokeh and rendering. The look of classic Minolta rendering wipes the floor with them IMO, but I love the Fuji tonality it's right on target. A real shame I couldn't get my head around using X mount. I would not look at the system again based mainly on the lack of stabilisation. Saying that I'm surprised Sony released an updated APS-C E mount body without it either
classiccameras
Viceroy

Not sure what Sony are up to but then they have always been quirky and never followed logic. The Alpha E mount APS-C bodies such as the A5000/6000/new 6300 should have had IBIS, but they decided to make the E mount lenses with OSS, they are all a bit doggie-doo unless you buy Zeiss, but then these bodies were not pro bodies, but entry mid range so why are the budget lenses so below average, the A mount kit lenses are far better as are the Sigma E mount primes. Again its the Sony screwed up logic. I might just look at an A to E mount adapter if I got an Alpha E body so I can use my Alpha Lenses but as Barry so rightly said, its the lack of IBIS that puts me off.

After several years of cracking picture quality from my little Fuji X10 made me consider going over to Fuji APS-C bodies but the lack of IBIS and fairly expensive lenses put me off, plus the lens choice is tiny.
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

As long as Sony only designs Nex style APS E mount camera I can't see how any of them will have IBIS. As it has become uncertain what Sony will do with its A mount cameras, I have been hoping for an A7 style APS camera but with the performance claimed for the A6300.

I would like a camera that could cover sports etc and although there are claims that the A7 is small, I would consider the current A7 body with grip a perfect size for me.
classiccameras
Viceroy

Peter, I suspect the Fuji APS-C CSC would be a lot more attractive system to buy into if there were some 3rd party lenses available and some form of Image stabilisation, either IBIS or lens. Where Fuji score in my view are the great Jpegs and colour rendering, only equalled by Olympus, both brands are the Jpeg Kings, but not for every one I'm sure. I'm a tad disappointed with the over warm and pink tint Jpeg colour hue on my A6000, but I'm in the process of experimenting with colour temp and various other tweaks, peoples suggestions would be helpful
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

I'm a tad disappointed with the over warm and pink tint Jpeg colour hue on my A6000
. Not sure where that comes from. Just been looking at my images taken last week with my A6000 and Sony 10-18mm downloaded through (silly name) PlayMemories, and I see no warm/pink colour hue. In fact it is difficult to see any colour difference between the RAW and Jpeg images. I just use standard settings and A/F in A mode.

I still have a Fuji E900 and it was the best "pocket" camera of the lot when released. As stated by others, pity that Fuji develops these fine sensors without f.u. with a decent selection of lenses. The turnover is just not enough to entice Tamron/Sigma. Same with the Sigma foveon sensor. Who would want to buy a Sigma DSLR and be tied to their lenses only? So the "interesting" sensors are tucked away in uninteresting (or too expensive) packages.
classiccameras
Viceroy

My fault, I discovered that I had shifted the Colour temp after fiddling and forgot I had, now sent every thing back to default and its fine, although I have found Day light rather than auto white balance seems to give more pleasing colours, if the weather permits that is.

I still have my little Fuji X10 and I'm very reluctant to get rid of it as it takes lovely pictures, especially Jpegs, little need for PP.
I think Fuji is a great system to buy into but as long as you are aware of its short comings such as lens selection and price.
This is one bug bare I have with the Sony E mount, great cameras poor lens choice, Nearly every lens at the budget end of the E mount under performs to one point or another. Yeah, play memories is an idiotic name but not bad as systems go but I prefer Microsoft's own Editing Suite.
bfitzgerald

There are too many good A mount lenses around at nice prices to worry about buying E mount lenses :-). My X10 is still going and I use it quite a bit for stills and videos (it's not nearly as bad as some sites said in fact it's quite good for video)
If it dies I won't replace it with anything unless I could find a good camera that's compact at a decent price.