Teleconverter compatibility

Discussion of all digital SLR cameras under the Minolta and Konica Minolta brands
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Beakydave
Initiate

Teleconverter compatibility

Unread post by Beakydave »

I have just taken the plunge and ordered a new Sony 70-200 2.8. Question - will my Minolta 2x (Mark I) T/C work with this lens? If not, what do I lose - autofocus? automatic exposure compensation?

If I have to plump for a new Sony T/C, will it work with my Minolta 200 2.8 HS? (Assuming, of course, that I keep it - my trials with the new zoom suggest I probably won't need it)
Philip
Oligarch

Unread post by Philip »

Can't say for definate, but my Minolta 1.4x Apo fits my Sony 70-200 SSM, but because the TC doesn't have all the contacts that the SSM has, you have to focus manually - unlike the old Minolta 80-200 Apo, which would not accept either the 1.4x or 2x converter (the rear element protruded too far during focusing). From what I can glean from Sony's website both of their new TC's give full compatability with the 70-200.

Hope this is of some help.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

You lose AF entirely, but keep auto aperture operation and exposure information. You also lose ADI information. The correct one for the 70-200mm SSM is the final version of the Minolta model - Type II (D) Apo 2 X or 1.4X.

David