KM Maxxum/Dynax/Alpha 7D jpegs

Discussion of all digital SLR cameras under the Minolta and Konica Minolta brands
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
classiccameras
Viceroy

Re: KM Maxxum/Dynax/Alpha 7D jpegs

Unread post by classiccameras »

In Britain students enrolled on photographic courses for City and Guilds certificates are tutored on the old school film cameras and various skills associated with that including dark room techniques before they move on to digital.

I have never been convinced about Sony Jpegs even on my A6000, compared to other cameras such as Olympus, Fuji, Canon and to a lesser extent Nikon, These cameras in my view exhibit much nicer Jpegs, with Oly and Fuji still wearing the Jpeg crown followed by Canon. Sony still exhibit rather green/yellow bias Jpegs, OK, you can fool about with the colour temp etc pre taking the picture or make amends in PP, but I cannot be bothered. I did not like the over warm Jpegs out of my Nikon D5100, so eventually sold it.

My Oly E 510 just out shines most other cameras for out of camera Jpegs with little PP needed. The newer M/4/3 Oly's are still great for Jpegs but not quite up to the old E 4/3 cameras, may be its because the M/4/3 now use Sony sensors!

Fuji UK say sales are up on Velvia and Astia colour slide, I use both in my old Minolta SLR's. Ektachrome was the choice of the Pros for advertising and magazine work as it could be manipulated during the E-6 process, although I preferred Kodachrome which was/is a pre-paid process and mount by post film. I might start using some colour Neg this summer. Long live film photography, its almost like the Vinyl resurgence in the Hi Fi world. If I was to start over, it would be either Fuji or Canon and I would bring out the 35-mm film SLR more often.
transiently
Acolyte

Unread post by transiently »

I found the comments above interesting. I used Canon DLSRs for years because they were reported to have the best JPEGs. Had the KM 7D and 5D been reported as having great JPEG engines, I'd almost certainly have bought one.

These days I'm often using a Sony A37, which I feel delivers very good JPEGs which are less processed-looking than those from my Sony-sensored Olympus m4/3 cameras.
classiccameras
Viceroy

Unread post by classiccameras »

Transiently, may I ask what your set up is with the A37 for Jpegs, and lenses. I found I had to tweak my A37 in a couple of areas to get rid of the yellow/green Jpeg tint.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

I found the 5d's jpegs pretty good at low ISO really nothing to see details wise v Raw. At high ISO not bad either but the KM5D was generous with exposures which helped too. DR yes a bit more in raw as expect didn't really have a problem or concern using jpegs most times.

Pentax were when I was using them doing a good job on jpegs that seems to have changed in recent years. Nikon were always consistent NR off was quite low managed to keep decent details and get rid of most colour noise. Fuji another maker who used to be good X10 happy with them, XE1 was also very good. More recent models suffer from the blow torch v candle wax issue I have no idea why they changed them if it ain't broke ;-) Can't comment on Panny or Oly though Oly tonality is nice as is Fuji. Canon I have less experience with the jpegs I have shot was pretty happy with them.

Sony never warmed to the jpegs at least the older models wasn't that happy with them NR was odd not really removing enough colour noise too much detail loss and the low/off settings not really low enough. Newer ones can't say (A77II, A68, A99II etc) maybe they are better seem to have improved a bit. Rarely use the jpegs on the Sony's I have at the moment. Not everyone like the KM5D colours I did great for skin tones it did push the reds a bit more than some makers and you could clip the channel if you have a bright subject (dial back a bit). Canon also liked a lot with people I know I find them quite nice tonality wise. Colour balance is such a big factor too Nikon tended to be cooler (sometimes D7K was) sometimes a bit yellow (D90 was a bit like that)