Flash struggle

Cabled, wireless, studio - anything do with using flash
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Flash struggle

Unread post by Javelin »

I've been struggling a bit with flash exposures on my A700. I read a lot of how perfect the flashes operate on these and I do get really good results.. but a lot of time I have to add flash compenstation. 2/3-1 stop more.

this morning I took 2 shots. one in the green auto mode (never tried it before to be honest) and it exposed the shot perfectly. on the second shot I duplicated the ISO, Aperture and the shutter speed took care of itself in A-mode and was the same as the auto shot. Same scene same focal length and focus point but it underexposed by the same one stop. I can live with adding in compensation if I have to .. but I just don't understand why the exposure would be diferent. what is automatic doing that I can't seem to do in Manual or Aperture Priority mode?

I'll post these when I get home and take some more but i'm pretty sure it's the same with the onboard flash as it is with my 36am
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: Flash struggle

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Here's your answer Javelin.
When set to Auto (green) the Flash mode will be automatically set to 'Autoflash', but when set to 'A' you are left without it, only Fill-flash, Rear sync. or Wireless.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

I'm going to have to read through the book for the fash. I don;t really understand why thet would be. you are right in fact there is a "auto" light on the flash that comes on in the green auto mode on the camer. it just doesn;t make sense that the flash won't poperly light the scene in a differnt mode.
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

And then there is 'Ambient light' and 'Fill flash'. You have to adjust according your needs. Once you understand the principle, it becomes quite easy to adjust it to your needs.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

I still have a hard time with the flash. My flash shots come out under exposed or flashed looking. I can't seem to get that ballance of well lit subjects without darkening the background way too much. I may be expecting too much but it seems I had a lot better luck with flash on film than on digital.
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

Ok I think I have it set how the flash is working. someone should tell me if this is right or not though.

Automode exposes the subject properly no matter what.

PASM modes underexpose so they are only exposed properly if I add +1ev flash comp.
in A and S modes it exposes correctly with out flash compensation if I use high speed sync
If I use bounce flash I have to add +1ev flash comp

In the book for the flash (hvl 36AM) it says you can vary the way the scene is lit by changing your exposure values. this only works if I change the ISO when in HSS and only works to overexpose

I'm pretty sure I can make it work like this but I think every time I use it I may need a test shot.

I haven't tried ADI vs TTL mode this time but it seems to me it's the same in each from previous experience.

I notice in the exif there is a "brightness value" it's in the section where exposure bias and metering mode is. is that supposed to be What he camera senses for the ambient light in the scene?