Advice and question on flash rental?

Cabled, wireless, studio - anything do with using flash
marktuma
Initiate

Advice and question on flash rental?

Unread post by marktuma »

Hi All,

A friend has asked if I will consider shooting some group shots of her extended family in December. If I do it it will be a one-time kind of event, as people will be converging from different continents. The location will be a hall which is not amazingly bright, so I told her that ambient light would make for long exposures, which is when she said one of the group is a nine month old baby. So, if I do it I'm guessing I'll need to use at least one flash, but I don't actually own one.

I think there'll be about ten people in the group, and I'll be using my A100 and CZ1680 lens. I can also get access to a couple of 1,000 W continuous light softboxes, but from experience with doing video interviews I think these are more useful for a single subject.

Now, to my questions:
1) What would I need to add to do this well, but on a budget? Would a single flash work well enough, or will actually need multiple units?
2) Is there anywhere in the UK that will rent me some flash units for the weekend?

Thanks,
Mark
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: Advice and question on flash rental?

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

There are many places which will rent you a flash outfit. The most obvious choice is The Flash Centre (London 0207 837 5649/Birmingham 0121 327 9220/Leeds 0113 247 0937), just ask for a two head Elinchrom kit with two 1m white umbrellas - you don't really benefit much from softboxes for a group. If you do need them, then ask for two Octas - big ones. They do groups superbly. TFC will tell you if they have a retailer closer to you doing rental.

David
marktuma
Initiate

Thanks for the info David. Am I to take it from your reply that a single HVL-F42 or 58 is not going to do the job adequately then?

Cheers,
Mark
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

You used the word 'hall'. Often that means a ceiling too high for effective bounce flash. If it is a large room, with a white ceiling around 10-12ft, a single 58 will do the job using bounce flash - for a group up to as many as 20 people. But if it's a wooden ceiling, a vault, a church-style hall etc - you would need the mains flash, or maybe a couple of 42/58 remotes with some brackets and brollies or diffusers added - not always the easiest thing to rig up.

David
marktuma
Initiate

Thanks again David, if I end up doing this shoot I'll let you the forum know how it goes :)