Flash Cables

Cabled, wireless, studio - anything do with using flash
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: Flash Cables

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

Bonus I just realized: the best part about going with manual flash, PC cords, and flash adapters, is that my most expensive investments in the Alpha system besides the camera body--that is, my flashes and cables--will retain utility in any other system I use.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

My most expensive investment is ME. I hope to outlast all the other hardware, even if I need recalibrating more often.

But you are right - my flash systems, tripods and similar stuff have outlasted several generations of cameras.

David
KevinBarrett

Well, my adapters came in today and I'm happy to report that everything works as I expected it to! I bought 20' of 16/2 insulated speaker wire and fitted female household plugs to either end. I chose speaker wire as an added safety measure because it looks like nothing you would ever plug into a wall, and because it's easy to keep the right polarization for the PC adapters at either end. The hotshoe adapter is a Seagull SC-6 unit (search for that and you'll find it for less than what I paid), and has the same quality feel as a manhandled packet of crisps.

Still, for around $60, instead of 1.5 meters more of Sony's TTL cord, I have a 20' flash cord and the beginnings of an infinitely adaptable system, the components of which can be bought at any supermarket or hardware store, and which allows me to use my flashes with any other camera system. Okay, so it's not Pocket Wizards, but those were never an option.

Questions or suggestions?
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
KevinBarrett

David Kilpatrick wrote:My most expensive investment is ME. I hope to outlast all the other hardware, even if I need recalibrating more often.

But you are right - my flash systems, tripods and similar stuff have outlasted several generations of cameras.

David
I tried for the longest time to think what "ME" stood for. I thought perhaps a piece of software or a category of photographic equipment (M...? Equipment). The next sentence I read too fast and chalked up to a typo. Duh!

The homemade household cord still works great. Twenty feet is just right for most shots with the light in front of the subjects, but for full-body shots with light behind I'll need ten more feet at least. I'll expand my system soon and try it with a household multi-plug adapter to put my 5200i to work. Expansion cost is $23 per flash, plus househould cord: Seagul SC-6, $10, PC to HH adapter, $13.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --