Flash Rotating Bracket

Cabled, wireless, studio - anything do with using flash
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Flash Rotating Bracket

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

Does anyone use something like this? It is the kind of solution I really need for these weddings I keep shooting with awful light. I found one on ebay and wondered if anyone has any experience with them, or suggestions of any others. [link] I need something compatible with an a700 with vertical grip.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: Flash Rotating Bracket

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

I'll go for the HVL-F58AM.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
KevinBarrett

Lol! That's a $500 solution, Doc! I'd LOVE to have one of those, but they don't quite do the same thing, I don't think. The advantage of the swivel axis appears to be that the flash comes closer to the center line above the lens than a flash without this unique functionality, when in vertical format. However, while it comes closer, it still isn't very near it. Can anybody see any reason why this bracket wouldn't work with a Sony? I'm a little concerned about how the flash attaches to the bracket, as it's a Canon shown in the pictures.

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

I always found brackets a clumsy accessory.
I prefer bouncing lights over the ceiling or walls. Otherwise I hand held the flash and work on wireless or with the TTL cable -I have MUCH more control that way.

Regards
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dr. Harout

No, I'll definitely go for HVL-F58AM.
Kevin, that would be a very clumsy thing and quite annoying when composing, believe me.
Look at that device. The pivoting part would be on your right side, which means it'll interfere with your work when you want to rotate the flash, because you cannot perform that with your left hand. And then since the flash would be more distal then normally, it will create a disbalance thus making it possible to ruin your shot.
If you're really interesting in such a pivoting arm, I would suggest to find just the arm of a big flash (you know those old style flashes which were attached by a long arm to the tripod socket of the camera), and just use a pivoting head on it from your left side.
I hope I managed to explain whatever I had in mind :?

Flickr
jcoffin
Grand Caliph

Unread post by jcoffin »

KevinBarrett wrote:Does anyone use something like this? It is the kind of solution I really need for these weddings I keep shooting with awful light. I found one on ebay and wondered if anyone has any experience with them, or suggestions of any others. [link] I need something compatible with an a700 with vertical grip.
I've tried to use a bracket a bit like this one, but wasn't very happy with it. The bracket got in the way of using the vertical grip very well. Basically I had to wrap my fingers around the bracket along with the grip, with part of the bracket sticking out between two fingers -- but it was wide enough to make this quite uncomfortable. This is clearly a different bracket, so it might cure the problems I had, but the picture looks similar enough that I'd either like to handle it first, or else have an assurance that I could get a refund if it didn't work out well.

So far, the best "bracket" like this I've come up with is a (homemade) U-shaped plate with two 1/4 inch holes (i.e. to fit a tripod screw) on opposite sides. One side is screwed down to the rotating tripod ring on the lens and the other side to a tripod mount for a light. Glancing at Sony's current lineup, I'm not sure, but it looks like the FA-CS1AM could have a screw hole on the bottom for mounting to a tripod (if it doesn't, shame on them...) This is somewhat limited (obviously, it only works with a lens that has a tripod ring) but within its limits it's nearly perfect -- the flash stays perfectly aligned over the lens, and it's not in the way of normal use of the camera. It's designed to be close to the center of weight of a combined lens/body, so the balance even stays pretty reasonable. OTOH, without the right lens, it's completely worthless.
KevinBarrett

Ooh, that's a good point. I do see a pretty significant amount of flange on the vertical grip portion there, and I wonder whether the bracket gets in the way of the AF assist lamp.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
alfake
Heirophant

Unread post by alfake »

Kevin, I side with Paco and Dr. Harout (and I think also with Jerry) in this... Two years ago I was asked to shoot a wedding. It was a very formal wedding, and I had no experience in that kind of photography, so I tried my best to explain why I shouldn’t do that. But I was asked by the bride herself, who was a very close friend of mine, and she insisted so firmly that I eventually had to give up. The weeks before the wedding I spent most of my spare time reading about wedding photography. It was then when I had to face your dilemma: Should I use a bracket? Finally (to make a long story short) my decision was clear: No. Why? I imagined myself fumbling with the bracket while the bride was saying ‘I will’… (In other words, I thought that in a wedding it is far more important to get the shot than to get a perfect shot.) Now I’m glad I decided to simplify things… she is still my friend.
Alfonso
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Kevin,
I just realized you need a lighting solution for a wedding...
what flashes do you already have?
what kind of flash technique do you master?
what kind of flash technique do you want to master?
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KevinBarrett

Well, I don't have a wedding scheduled, but am highly annoyed when I get strong shadows cast of to the right when I shoot vertically. I would love to have the stronger F58AM (I have the F56) but I wonder just how well it solves this problem.

On a side note, my vertical grip was just delivered!
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

KevinBarrett wrote: I would love to have the stronger F58AM (I have the F56) but I wonder just how well it solves this problem.

On a side note, my vertical grip was just delivered!
Congratulations for the grip.
BTW, the 58 is only stronger at 105mm for recular shots (wide to normal) is the same, or almost the same.
practice bouncing lights (make sure the falsh head is heading slightly to your back) and wired/wireless off camera, holding the flash far (45 degrees to the subject) with your left hand. It's a shame Minolta/Sony DSRL doesn't support Ratio...
Last edited by pakodominguez on Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pako
------------
Dr. Harout

KevinBarrett wrote:On a side note, my vertical grip was just delivered!
Congratulations Kevin.
But do write a comment (detailed) on it.

Flickr
KevinBarrett

Ah, you know me. I'm nothing if not detailed! I've already got a lot of impressions about the grip but I'm waiting until I get to do some serious shooting before I write it up. I'll say this now; the flash bracket discussed in this thread would be a pretty bad fit for all that flange business on the underside!
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Kevin, have a look at this, that would be the only style of bracket I would consider, it goes sideways around the camera on the right hand side and does not interfere with the normal operation of your right hand control of the vertical grip and release button, lens MF etc. the only thing I've got an issue with is why have a handle grip thingy on it, that's not necessary IMO, but the design seems about right, at least it's not overly expensive to try one and see how it works out, you will need the Sony off camera cable and the off camera shoe as well though, (they aren't overly cheap however).
Greg

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/3 ... lash_.html