Metz Flash, early trials.

Cabled, wireless, studio - anything do with using flash
Omega892
Oligarch

Metz Flash, early trials.

Unread post by Omega892 »

I have had the Metz 54MZ-4i for a couple of days now and first impressions are that TTL is close to correct with the Dynax 7D but overcooked by about ½ to 1 stop with the Sony Alpha.

I gave wireless remote a quick try out with a three flash set-up using a pair of Minolta 5600HS(D)s and the Metz. Using the Alpha 100 then all three remotes flash simultaneously, with a Dynax 7D, and a Dynax 7 for that matter, the 5600HS(D)s both fire together but there is then at least a ½ second delay before the Metz fires.

I have not had much chance to do more testing as I had a graphic card problem after an MS update this week which required attention. Why OS security updates need to kill a graphics driver is a mystery.
'Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.' - Benjamin Franklin
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Have your tried it with just two flash units? I found it impossible to get three units to sync together when using Metz, Sigma and 5600/3600 in any combination. Generally, the third flash would not fire at all - a half second delay is just very peculiar as there are no control signals operating at that time.

David
Omega892
Oligarch

OK the fog, self induced but it seems I have not been alone, is clearing a bit here.

The various configurations that will work together and those that will not are now being explored.

Yesterday I noticed that with one 5600HS(D) set to ratio [2]:1 and the other to 2:[1] then there was a time delay apparent on the gun set to 2:[1].

This got me thinking about a Damien Dinning article way back in an issue of Minolta Image, whilst looking for that I found the more recent, and apposite article by Gary Friedman in Minolta Image No 35 Summer 2003 pp.24-27.

Thank you Gary Friedman for producing such a lucid article and David for publishing it.

This informs that wireless ratio flash is not available with multiple guns and pre-flash TTL unless one has the long discontinued flash controller. To differentiate light intensity reaching the subject one has to resort to placing the guns at different distances. Or use diffusers as I could, digital makes experimenting that much easier.

Without ratio on, and at a shutter speed of 1/60 I can achieve all three guns, two 5600HS(D)s and one Metz 54 MZ4-I, firing together. This set up tried with both Dynax 7D and Sony Alpha 100. Here the on camera flash makes no contribution to lighting in the shot which is not as I had previously thought from reading page 41 of the 5600HS(D) instruction manual which implies that one 5600HS(D) and the built in flash can be used to provide a 2:1 ratio (which is a 2/3 and a 1/3). Unless I am missing something here, but Gary Friedman’s article suggests that I am not.

Thank you Gary Friedman for producing such a lucid article and David for publishing it.
'Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.' - Benjamin Franklin
Omega892
Oligarch

OK so now that I have all three flash guns, 2 x 5600HS(D) and 1 x Metz 54 MZ-4i firing in unison I have returned to trialling the Metz with bounce and fill in tube, as expected this yields pleasing results with the exception that the other two guns are useless for filling in a shadow on the side away from lights when holding the camera in portrait aspect. Note that I am after producing some pictures without shadow for visible detail rather than aesthetic appeal.

One solution would be to use my nice large Portaflash reflector, but on my own and with no easy way to position the reflector where needed this got me thinking about my old Agfatronic and Vivitar AutoThyristor 4600 guns.

The Vivitar has its own slave module (with variable power selection) and useful bounce with a ‘catchlight’ reflector which can be used if required. The standard module for this flash died some while ago when the contacts depressed into the unit but synchronizing this gun with the Metz is no problem.

The Agfatronic did not have a slave capability so a few years back I purchased an inexpensive module that would connect to the PC cable and provide this function. Sadly this module no longer works, and judging by today’s stocks in my local photo shops I am not sanguine about finding a replacement. However I do have some long PC cables and a small inter-connector which does allow the Vivitar and Agfatronic to be synchronized.

With the Dynax 7 and 7D the PC socket could be used with a long cable to connect to the Agfatronic but it looks as if Sony has deleted this socket during the development of the Alpha so the solution above will be required.

Finally the Metz will need more testing to check exposure with alternative lens and camera combinations. Results are now more encouraging than at first.