A100+F56 is OK

Cabled, wireless, studio - anything do with using flash
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

A100+F56 is OK

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

When something impresses me I don't mind saying so...this critter (possom) ran accross the front path and half way up a palm, I thought I might as well go and get the camera just to see what it can do with this photo op, as it was just about dark, by the time I got the camera fitted with the right lens and the flash, turned everything on and checked settings it had got quite dark (and I thought I hadn't taken long), when I returned back out front the possom had disappeared, but it had only climbed up further, I thought I could just see a dark blob (no torch) up amongst the dark fronds about 12 or 15ft away, (someone pointed out too me where they thought it had gone), with the first shot I got about 2/3rds of a possom (rear view), then I had to try and remember where I had aimed (nothing visible through the viewfinder, also no way of knowing what the focus was actually focussing on) and do a correction, I think it was the fourth shot that I finally got one that looked ok, possom actually in the picture and focussed reasonably well even thought the centre spot was still not lined up properly on the subject, and me being on the right side of the tree too get the front view as well.
I think the camera and flash performed very well considering the difficulties, I had to reflect how difficult that would have been too achieve with my trusty X700...in short, I would have had no chance I think, without someone holding a bright torch on the subject to enable the possibility of doing manual focus and then the bright torch would most likely scare the critter away after quite a short time.
Like I say I'm impressed...with these new fangled auto everything digital thingys 8)
Greg

A100 A Mode 1/125sec f8, ISO200, Pattern metering, forcus area select, AF-A, Red eye=OFF, ADI fill flash, Focus illuminator=ON, rear curtain sync. F56 TTL 1/1 (-2/3 FB), 100-300Apo(D) @ 200mm

Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: A100+F56 is OK

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Hehe, nice shot, Greg. :)
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Re: A100+F56 is OK

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Hey thanks Doc, it was all good fun....I think our possums sort of fill in for squirrels elsewhere, do similar sorts of things, nick anything that's not nailed down, they will happily invade into a kitchen dining room etc. in the night if there is an open window adjacent too an outside branch of a tree, and halfinch an apple or pear or whatever they can find and disappear with the loot. :lol:
Greg