My new "HVL-F25AM" Flash ;-)

Cabled, wireless, studio - anything do with using flash
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

My new "HVL-F25AM" Flash ;-)

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

My concept is as follows.

The flash can be fired by on-board units for off camera wireless
It can act as a commander on all Alpha bodies (when you need more power, aka outdoors etc) I would add this to all alpha flashes as well.
It has a built in red AF assist light.
Increase power to Gn 25
Model name change to HVL-F25AM
It would cost around £99-£110

Essential purchase (almost) for all those looking for a compact flashgun for their camera bag.

A900 users can debate the ratio control etc!

Sony version
Cannot be used off camera as a wireless unit
Only acts as a commander on the A900
Has no built in red AF assist
Has less power
Cost estimate £140-£150 ish, in other words, don't own A900, buy the 42 or 36 s/h on ebay!

Now I assume I got all that info correct, I didn't bust my brain open thinking about that lot.
Not being negative to Sony, but cough...think about stuff some more please!
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: My new "HVL-F25AM" Flash ;-)

Unread post by Javelin »

that would suit a lot of people but what heppens now to the price of the 58 when half the people that are grudgingly buying it suddenly have this option? is my 58 going to cost me 800 bucks now because only half the people are buying it? and why bother with a 42 at all. this one is so cheap and close it's not even needed.
bfitzgerald

I have not used a 58 flash, but the power alone, added with the extra stuff would be enough for some folks. Ditto on the 42 unit, that might well do most folks..and they can skip the somewhat pricey 58. My proposed unit is limited to just bounce..and is a lot less power than both units.

Regardless of some of the points, this new sony unit is not going to be priced that well, nor offer enough for many users. Seems like a wasted opportunity to me.

But I was trying to be positive, not just complaining about Sony. I think they don't plan out things very well, or look as the system as a whole. I cringe to think who actually makes the decisions for their stuff, they seem to miss very obvious areas. At the very least, the unit should have an AF assist light built in, and it would make sense to have the unit be able to work on the wireless system too. If it does cost what they say, I don't see many taking it up, why bother when you can have the 42 for just a bit more, or the 36 for a lot less..and get a real flashgun..for your money
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

Maybe the UK prices are out of wack. Here the new Sony is $199.00 compatable with all the cameras and on the 900 control other flashes wirelessly and GN 20 and is supposed to have an AF illuminator.

By contrast the SB-400 is $160.00 will not work at all on the D40 (maybe D60 too?) and won't act as a controler on any camera it's GN 30 but no AF illuminator.

One thing I found here is that the Sb400 will work on WA lenses up to 27mm on full frame Sony won't light that wide, only 50mm. So as an initial brand new price from Sony direct I don't think it's out of like with the Nikon. Other retailed will sell it maybe 20.00 cheaper for now
bfitzgerald

The supposed AF assist. is I believe simply a flash burst..not really what I had in mind, not very discreet.

BTW, since when was following Nikon the suggested path to take? The SB 400 should work fine on the D40, I think the only issues are non use on most film bodies. Last price I saw was around £100 for the Nikon flash.
Had sony put an onboard flash on the A900, they would have no need to shove this out. I thought the idea was not just for A900 users, but to sell them to other ones too???
I think the best thing Sony can do is offer "more" than rivals, and with well thought out ideas, the system will be highly attractive to users all around.
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

bfitzgerald wrote:The supposed AF assist. is I believe simply a flash burst..not really what I had in mind, not very discreet.

Your probably right I don't see an opening for the usual LED. wish they would bring back the hologram from the F series though though

BTW, since when was following Nikon the suggested path to take? The SB 400 should work fine on the D40, I think the only issues are non use on most film bodies. Last price I saw was around £100 for the Nikon flash.

Well canon has a small pocketable flash as well. I was just using it as an example for the ppricing on it. The text with that flash specifically excludes the D40 but doesn't give a reason so I guess they have to buy motor lenses and bigger flash units
Had sony put an onboard flash on the A900, they would have no need to shove this out. I thought the idea was not just for A900 users, but to sell them to other ones too???
I think the best thing Sony can do is offer "more" than rivals, and with well thought out ideas, the system will be highly attractive to users all around.

Ususally this is what Sony does. the whole system is still a little imature yet to compare directly with Nikon and Canon and untill they have a closer user base I wouldn't expect that. so I think the next year or 2 may bring things like a heaper full frame but not much in terms of neve seen before innovation.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Javelin wrote:Maybe the UK prices are out of wack. Here the new Sony is $199.00 compatable with all the cameras and on the 900 control other flashes wirelessly and GN 20 and is supposed to have an AF illuminator.

By contrast the SB-400 is $160.00 will not work at all on the D40 (maybe D60 too?) and won't act as a controler on any camera it's GN 30 but no AF illuminator.

One thing I found here is that the Sb400 will work on WA lenses up to 27mm on full frame Sony won't light that wide, only 50mm. So as an initial brand new price from Sony direct I don't think it's out of like with the Nikon. Other retailed will sell it maybe 20.00 cheaper for now
That's not so - its has a rotating reflector for 27mm and 50mm angles (two positions only). The GN is quoted at 20 for 50mm coverage, that's their only bit of fibbing - at 27mm coverage, it is around GN11 which is no more than most built-in flash units.

David
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

This disclaimer was in the text of the description. it is infact refering to the flash when used with the "tele position" engaged, I guess this is a manual flash zoom of sorts.

*Due to its narrower 50mm angle of coverage, Tele Position may result in light falloff at the periphery of the image if it is used with lenses that have a wider angle of view than 50mm. For best results, Tele Position is recommended for use at focal lengths greater than 50mm, or in situations where the user only wants to illuminate the central portion of the frame. When teamed with the α900, the HVLF20AM can also be used to trigger wireless flash setups. Please note, however, that this functionality is only available with DSLRA900, and does not include luminosity ratio control.
bfitzgerald

Ok does this new sony flash support HSS?

I am thinking, nope..but do correct me if I am wrong. If this is the case, then is there any reason (Bar A900 users) to even consider it? Might as well get a sunpak/equivalent small flashgun..and forget about this one!
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

yes is does do HSS, I got to try it at the Toronto show. it worked ok even though the guy said it may not be fully functioning as it was a sample.
bfitzgerald

Ok HSS but as above are the GN numbers fudged or something?? If it's a mere GN 11?? As suggested..HSS is going to need a bit more power.