A700 and ebay radio triggers

Cabled, wireless, studio - anything do with using flash
Grendo
Acolyte

A700 and ebay radio triggers

Unread post by Grendo »

I recently picked up some ebay radio triggers (PT04IS) to go with my A700 and soon to be growing list of external flashes. I currently have only a HVL-F42AM that I've been triggering using the popup flash. Well, I thought I'd give a try triggering the F42AM with the radio triggers but ran into some unexpected difficulty. Long story short, I *think* I understand how to workaround the A700 to make this work but I'm hoping for some expert insight. My current understanding is as follows:

1. Turn on Flash and Body, attach the flash to the A700
2. Set the A700 to wireless/manual flash mode
3. Remove the HVL-F42 (it's still powered on at this point)
4. attach the wireless receiver to the HVL-F42 (via a FS-1200 knockoff). Flash must remain powered on from previous steps.
5. attach the wireless transmitter to the A700 (via a FS-1100 knockoff). Body remains powered on.
6. Shoot away

It seems that I must follow the steps above exactly to get the system to function properly.

It seems that it I wait overly long performing setup, the flash can go to sleep and "forget" its current mode. When that happens I need to start over.

Would appreciate some feedback and to know whether this does or doesn't jibe with other's experiences.

Thanks!