External Flash Battery Pack

Cabled, wireless, studio - anything do with using flash
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

External Flash Battery Pack

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

Image Opteka External Flash Battery Pack for Sony HVL-F58AM, HVL-F56AM, & Minolta 5600HS Electronic Flash Units

Image Sony FA-EB1AM External Battery Adapter for Flash

I was thinking that it might be wise to pick up one of these before I shoot my next wedding. Does anybody have experience with either? The Opteka Unit is $54, while the Sony unit is $249 (as low at $199.95 from Adorama at this time), so my decision is all but made. However, I wondered whether there were any concerns about the Opteka unit that have kept its price so low.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Dusty

Re: External Flash Battery Pack

Unread post by Dusty »

No experience with either but $55 makes it worth a try.

I used to shoot weddings with a "Potato Masher" flash that took AAs with no means for external power. I took the end caps off of 4 AAs, soldered wires to them and put them all small cardboard tubes (could have used wooden dowels). The wires ran out of the battery compartment thru a small notch I cut in it and ended up at a 9 volt battery connector. A Radio Shack plastic 4 D cell batty holder was then wired up with a long wire and another 9 volt connector.

The result was as many shots as I could ever use in a day and super fast recycling times! 8)

For $55 bucks I don't think I would try that again, but if I ever got a good flash w/o externam power hook-up I might do it again.

Dusty
KevinBarrett

I just did my indoors wedding this weekend, and let me tell you--I should have got the external battery pack! To get the shots often enough, and in the very difficult light, I found myself limited by flash recharging time very often. You're right, for $55 I shouldn't have passed it up. Next time.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
KevinBarrett

Yet another option from LINKdelight (which I've never heard of) for even less.

Image Flash External Battery Pack for Sony HVL-F56AM as FA-EB1AM

I also found a very helpful and reassuring Dyxum thread concerning "knock-off" external battery packs. If anybody has any experience with these, please chime in! I'll probably be buying the Opteka unit very soon, so I'll report back when I've tried it.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

I've looked at the external power packs myself a couple of times but never quite made the plunge, I always thought that thing when connected and the dangling cord would be a blasted pest...anyway the problem was solved when the AA Lithiums became available (I know I know...expensive and non rechargable), BUT they do deliver and deliver and deliver, only thing is, if you do a lot of medium/strongish flash work in quick succession they can become quite warm and performance can suffer a tad till they cool down, an easy fix for that is just have a spare set to pop in, or even better, a spare flash.....(with lithiums inside of course) :mrgreen:
Greg
Dusty

Unread post by Dusty »

Greg Beetham wrote:I've looked at the external power packs myself a couple of times but never quite made the plunge, I always thought that thing when connected and the dangling cord would be a blasted pest...
Greg
The solution would be for these guys to put a tripod screw on the battery pack, so that you could just attach it to the bottom of the camera. I've never seen that, so perhaps I should patent the idea!

Dusty
KevinBarrett

I believe they come with such a screw. There is a 1/4" threaded hole that passes through (some of, most of?) these packs so that it may be attached to the camera. I'll know in a few days when I get mine. I just ordered it with my Sandisk rebate card.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Dusty

Unread post by Dusty »

Dang! Too late again with my ideas!

Dusty
KevinBarrett

The Opteka unit works like a charm! My shooting now with off-camera flash is slower and more considered, so I haven't really pushed the pack yet. My observation after three outdoor shoots with lots of full-power flash: recycling time is fast enough that I never actually hear the whine of recharging any more.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --