Metz 45 CT-4 Flash

Cabled, wireless, studio - anything do with using flash
sury
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Metz 45 CT-4 Flash

Unread post by sury »

I mistakenly posted my question about using a Metz 45CT analog flash in DSLR systems but never the less received some suggestions including a link to manual and a gentle nudge to RTM. After going through the manual and setting the flash, I took the following picture using a Kiron MD 80-200 with MD/MA glass less adapter and Metz flash set to 1/4th power in manual mode, on my A700. I will try with A900 later. The light was very poor and the focus was guess and the aperture was set at 22 for the (blind) shot. I request your suggestions and input on the lighting aspect of the flash. Is the flash too harsh, too much, too soft or too little etc., I am a typical auto flash guy and want to learn to use a flash/light more intelligently. Thank you in advance for your insight and input.

With best regards,
Sury

Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: Metz 45 CT-4 Flash

Unread post by Dusty »

I think you hit it dead on, Sury. If you had to do it again, you could add a bit of a reflector on the right side to slightly open up the shadows on the furthest petal. But you hit the exposure fine. Any brighter would have blown out highlights, any less would have muddied the leaf and darker petals.

Dusty
sury

Unread post by sury »

Dusty,
Thank you. That's very helpful insight. I did not realize the right side situation till you mentioned.
Now I know better on reading an image. This is one of the reasons why I like fora like these. So many
folks willing to let you learn. BTW, thanks also for pointing my snafu of posting in the wrong section.

With best regards,
Sury
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Sury I saw your post about the A900 strange behavour (David had already answered), you might have to keep in mind that if you are going to use the Metz 45 for closeup type work, (it was designed primarily for taking photos of people at intermediate distances, and I believe it will do an excellent job of that) the sensor could possibly be lookiing at quite a different location to where the lens is aiming at (IF you are using the flash sensor that is), also that vintage Metz can not do HSS (long pulse low GN type flash) so you have to keep the shutter speed on the camera down below 1/200sec, or is it 1/250sec on the A900 I forget.
What is actually happening is when the camera is set to say 1/500sec (the shutter is no longer fully open at any stage, and is a slit that moves accross the opening) the flash pulse is much faster than the shutter and 'traps' the rear curtain, freezing it and recording it as part of the image, in mid flight.
Another thing, with the dial on the top of the Metz, you can bias the flash output with the ISO dial, if the camera is set to say ISO200 and the result is overexposed, you can set the ISO on the Metz to ISO400 etc. or any of the 1/3 positions in between to adjust the output down to a better exposure level....
The important thing to ask is, is the sensor looking at the same thing the lens is, not that the sensor needs to know where the lens is looking at of course, it's so the two are synchronised at the same subject distance, you can also detach the flash off the base plate and bring the head down level with the camera to achieve this (hand held of course), you will need the camera to be on a tripod though, most likely.
Greg
sury

Unread post by sury »

Greg,
Thank you for your detailed explanation and giving me one more variable to play with (ISO dial on Metz flash). I did not think of it at all. Also, I realized that when I close in on macro, I can use both HVL 20 for the subject and Metz in wide angle mode to back light behind the subject, if I, desire due to its height. Once again I am grateful to all the forum members who take time and with patience in explaining these things and help me become better. I have more or less etched the sensor 25 degree field of view (of Metz) in my mind.

With best regards,
Sury