HVL-F20AM flash

Cabled, wireless, studio - anything do with using flash
gio67
Imperial Ambassador

HVL-F20AM flash

Unread post by gio67 »

can anybody help, does this flash fire wireless with the a700, it does with the a900

thanks
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: HVL-F20AM flash

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

No. It can not be used as a wireless remote with any camera; it can be used as a wireless commander with the A900 and A850 only.

David
gio67
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by gio67 »

david i have the 56am and don,t really want to shell out that kind of dosh again for a wireless flash that i will not use a lot, are there any others a bit cheaper that will be triggered by the a700
ie the 56 am and an other to be triggered at the same time by the built in flash

thanks

gio
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Look at the for sale section of the forum - a member has a 3600HS D for sale for £80. That is fully compatible as a second remote head to be triggered by the A700 along with your 56.

David
gio67
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by gio67 »

David Kilpatrick wrote:Look at the for sale section of the forum - a member has a 3600HS D for sale for £80. That is fully compatible as a second remote head to be triggered by the A700 along with your 56.

David
thanks david
gio67
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by gio67 »

i can,t see that item for sale david, maybe it,s gone, sorry to be a pest david ,
(a) does the 42 am do the same as the 36 am
(b)are there any other non sony flashes that will do wireless from the a700 with the hvl 56 flash
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

The F42 will swivel and tilt whereas the F36 will just tilt. The F42 offers manual control, too, while the F36 does not. Additionally, the F42 responds to the next generation of wireless protocol in the Alpha system, offering wireless ratio control when triggered by the F58. And just in case it wasn't obvious, the F42 is marginally more powerful than the F36.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
gio67
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by gio67 »

thanks kevin, do they both fire simultaneously triggered from the on camera flash, i want to use one as a side light and one as a backlight

gio
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

yup you can fire as many as you want as long as they are in line of sight. they will fire off reflection but they get less reliable that way
KevinBarrett

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

gio67 wrote:thanks kevin, do they both fire simultaneously triggered from the on camera flash, i want to use one as a side light and one as a backlight

gio

Yes, it might seem like an extremely tricky thing to get one flash to sync with a 1/250 second exposure, let alone two or three, but the speeds of light and electrical current are very very fast. Synchronizing flashes even from multiple manufacturers isn't that hard, whether by wired connection or radio triggers.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
gio67
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by gio67 »

thanks everybody, after all that i bought the 3600 from stevemorg in the PCA private for sale thead
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

gio67 wrote:david i have the 56am and don,t really want to shell out that kind of dosh again for a wireless flash that i will not use a lot, are there any others a bit cheaper that will be triggered by the a700
ie the 56 am and an other to be triggered at the same time by the built in flash

thanks

gio
Howdy,

You already solve your "problem" buying the 3600. But had you considered wired off camera flash? While shooting people, I prefer to use the flash wired because that way I reduce the chance of lazy-eye syndrome.

Regards
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

There is no need to use wired flash to reduce delay/lag. Any normal slave-cell system (optical trigger) will do so - in fact, they are slightly faster than wireless (radio) triggers as they need no form of signal processing or protocol. The Sigma EF 530 Super offers both full manual control of power on the head (independent of the body used) and optical slave cell triggering, and can be used to create non-IR, non-wireless cable free set ups with zero firing delay.

David