HVL-F42AM

Cabled, wireless, studio - anything do with using flash
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

HVL-F42AM

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Couple of days ago my friend showed at my office and handed me over an HVL-F42AM.
Nice toy I would say.
Are there any special considerations I should be aware of?
Anyway I'll practice a lot this evening, since it's New Year.
HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL :D
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: HVL-F42AM

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Yes, one consideration - remember that with direct flash, even the 42 can cast a shadow on close-ups with some lens shades, so remove your lens shade. Secondly, be careful with the battery cover, I had to re-assemble mine, it has funny action.

David
Dr. Harout

Thank you for the tips, David. :D
I'll be careful. :!:

Flickr
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

David Kilpatrick wrote:Yes, one consideration - remember that with direct flash, even the 42 can cast a shadow on close-ups with some lens shades, so remove your lens shade. Secondly, be careful with the battery cover, I had to re-assemble mine, it has funny action.

David
From that I'm assuming Sony has re-designed the battery door, how about a close up like the one I posted of the 3600HS(D) door David, so we can all see the differences.
Greg

ps. What does re-assemble mean exactly? and how did it become un-assembled?
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Greg Beetham wrote:
David Kilpatrick wrote:Yes, one consideration - remember that with direct flash, even the 42 can cast a shadow on close-ups with some lens shades, so remove your lens shade. Secondly, be careful with the battery cover, I had to re-assemble mine, it has funny action.

David
From that I'm assuming Sony has re-designed the battery door, how about a close up like the one I posted of the 3600HS(D) door David, so we can all see the differences.
Greg

ps. What does re-assemble mean exactly? and how did it become un-assembled?
It fell off a handgrip at a press conference and hit the floor. Battery door flew off and batteries flew out. I can't remember exactly what I had to do but the door sort of needed forcing into place at the hinge side, and went back perfectly including whatever resistance or spring loading is normally present. No problems since.

David
Dr. Harout

This is how it looks.
Attachments
flash1.jpg
(67.94 KiB) Downloaded 2072 times
flash2.jpg
(61.89 KiB) Downloaded 2072 times

Flickr
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Ha so, thanks Doc, they did a major re-design alright along with a metal hinge axle it looks like, similar type of latchlocks tho.
Greg
UrsaMajor
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by UrsaMajor »

Greg Beetham wrote:Ha so, thanks Doc, they did a major re-design alright along with a metal hinge axle it looks like, similar type of latchlocks tho.
Greg
That is definitely a different design than the HVL-F36AM in almost all respects. I wonder if the hinge design was changed because of the problems with the HVL-F36AM, or if it was just required by the change of the battery placement from a 4-in-line arrangement to a square arrangement?

With best wishes,
- Tom -
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Javelin »

That door is very similar to my 360PX except on the 360 the door comes right off instead of flipping up. even the contact arangement is the same
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

UrsaMajor wrote:That is definitely a different design than the HVL-F36AM in almost all respects. I wonder if the hinge design was changed because of the problems with the HVL-F36AM, or if it was just required by the change of the battery placement from a 4-in-line arrangement to a square arrangement?

With best wishes,
- Tom -
Yeah, the square approach, makes for a slightly thicker flash body sometimes, looks like the door slides down too unlatch and swing open, I've got a couple of old Starblitzs' with that config, I actually don't mind the in-line style myself, I think it's easier to load the batteries properly, but it's no major biggie.
Talking about accidents...these little blighters are a lot tougher than they look, I had a Starblitz fall once, I had it up high on a manfrotto magic arm (with the lever lock) for some reason I disremember. Later when I undid the lever it fell so suddenly I got a fright and let go of the falling arm to catch the flash and sort of partially missed, it ended up going smash on the table..batteries half popped out, one of the tiny axle knobs had broken off the door, no other damage visible at all, and ever since then I've had a piece of 2" masking tape over door to hold the batteries in, the flash worked fine ever after. Now it only gets occasional use as a fill flash, it's previous life was a flash for the X700. My only other mishap (I've only ever dropped two phographic items, both of them flashes), was when I accidently dropped my nearly new HVLF56AM...for some reason it fell as I juggled it in my hand to line it up with the A100...(insert dropping sound) smash...batteries everywhere..my lovely flash lying at my feet in a pitiful crumpled heap, I thought there goes $700. But upon closer inspection I couldn't find anything wrong with it, nothing broken, the door had just popped open and that was it, (I did manage to find a very tiny scuffmark on one corner), I just put the batteries back in closed the door, and it's worked perfectly ever since.
Greg