RayFlash Ringflash Adapter for HVL-F58AM?

Cabled, wireless, studio - anything do with using flash
TallPaul
Acolyte

RayFlash Ringflash Adapter for HVL-F58AM?

Unread post by TallPaul »

In David's article in "Master Photographer March 2010" (available on Yudu http://www.yudu.com/i/31s0) the review on Page 35 of the latest Ray Flash makes reference to a model designed for the HVL-F58AM that David has tested?

Can David or anyone else comment on this model, I can find no reference to it on the RayFlash or UK distributors website, although I did read a 56 can be used with a RAC-175-2 which is a Canon model but with correct dimensions to align with A900 with HVL-F56AM mounted, but this is with shims.

The model mentioned in the article seems to imply an actual Sony model is available, and it has some sort of screw clamp arrangement and much improved light channels?
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: RayFlash Ringflash Adapter for HVL-F58AM?

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

It is actually the Canon model, but could be relabelled as Sony for the HVL-58 not the 56. The fit is perfect - clearly the head of the flashgun comes from the same mould designer as the Canon one (all these guns are made by third party suppliers, and the Sony and the Canon maybe share the same factory source).

There are three distances between flash and lens centres - 165mm, 170mm or 175mm. The 170mm will work with the older 56 gun but the fit is poor on the head. The 170mm, which I was sent to try, is as commented a bad match for distance. They are now sending me a replacement 175mm model which should be a very neat fit even on the A900.

David
TallPaul
Acolyte

Unread post by TallPaul »

Thanks David, based on my own measurements, its 173mm from the flash head to centre of lens throat on an A900 with 56, so 175mm is closer. Sounds like your being sent the 175-2 which is the one I was looking at.

Bit worried about the weight, and the distribution of light, but only to the extent covered in your review mentioned above.

Mainly interested for portraits etc.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

The weight might be a problem if knocked or caught. The light distribution is actually much better than the original model and I think it's OK for macro.

David