Wireless trigger for a metz 48.Yes, no ... what to do? HELP

Cabled, wireless, studio - anything do with using flash
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: Wireless trigger for a metz 48.Yes, no ... what to do? H

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

The 48 AF-1 is Alpha wireless system compatible, yes. It operates with the 58, and it can be used alongside other guns. Using the internal popup flash, you can control the AF-1 and the 58 together, and you will get a slight power ratio effect as they do not have identical outputs.

David
PedroDuarte
Initiate

Unread post by PedroDuarte »

Thank you!
I had a opportunity to get a F58AM for 301 Euros yesterday... it was used but in mint condition. Oh boy, damn :D
I found another f58AM but it's priced at 330Euros with 1 year. I prefer to get a new one than getting a used for that price.

I was thinking on the Metz 58 but... i heard it can't be used as Master the same way the Sony F58AM does?
Pedro Duarte
Working with: Sony A550 with: Minolta 24mm f2.8 & 100-200 f4.5, CZ 16-80, Sony 50mm f1.4 and Metz 48 AF-1
Flickr photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/24358740@N07
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

NO other flash can be used as a master on the digital bodies, and the HVL-F58AM only works as a master on the A900/700. Also, with the introduction of digital bodies, the ability to set ratios and define groups was lost until the HVL-F58AM appeared. But, you need at least two 58s - one as a commander, one remote, plus any other unit (Metz will do).

All 5600, 3600, 42, 2500, Metz, Sigma etc flash guns are always in 'Group 1' for setting power. They can never be in 'Group 2'. Only the HVL-F58AM can be in Group 2. You can only set different power ratios between Group 1 and Group 2, from an HVL-F58AM mounted on an A900 or A700. It won't work from any other body.

PS: if anyone thinks I have this wrong (i.e. if a newer body I haven't tested and which was not around when the manuals were written, like the A450, works) please add information.

But basically for a fully versatile two-plus-light remote with ratio flash set-up you need a semipro/pro Alpha body (700 or 900), two HVL-F58AM flash units, and one or more other wireless flash units.

David
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

David Kilpatrick wrote:NO other flash can be used as a master on the digital bodies, and the HVL-F58AM only works as a master on the A900/700. Also, with the introduction of digital bodies, the ability to set ratios and define groups was lost until the HVL-F58AM appeared. But, you need at least two 58s - one as a commander, one remote, plus any other unit (Metz will do).
I think it is a typo: the F58AM won't work as a controller on the A700. Only the A850/A900.
David Kilpatrick wrote: All 5600, 3600, 42, 2500, Metz, Sigma etc flash guns are always in 'Group 1' for setting power. They can never be in 'Group 2'. Only the HVL-F58AM can be in Group 2. You can only set different power ratios between Group 1 and Group 2, from an HVL-F58AM mounted on an A900 or A700. It won't work from any other body.

PS: if anyone thinks I have this wrong (i.e. if a newer body I haven't tested and which was not around when the manuals were written, like the A450, works) please add information.
Last firmware upgrade for the Metz 58 AF-1 transform this flash on a controller, with all the functions the F58AM have (groups, channels...) on the A850/A900 -flashes are a little dummies, the camera rules.
http://www.metz.de/en/photo-electronics ... gital.html

Firmware V3.0 (released on 24.02.2010)
Improvements:
1. Zoom-Size function depending on camera type is possible.
2. Setting of the parameter values by repeat key.
3. Additionally master-/slave-function in the remote system “CTRL+”.
David Kilpatrick wrote: But basically for a fully versatile two-plus-light remote with ratio flash set-up you need a semipro/pro Alpha body (700 or 900), two HVL-F58AM flash units, and one or more other wireless flash units.

David
If Sony is smart enough, they will bring a flash like the Nikon SB-R200, that is a shoeless wireless slave GN 10 (in meters) for 160 US$ -Sony already have the F20Am that is a powerful little flash, and they need to add the wireless function on it. It is unrealistic spending 2000 US$ on a 5 f58Am set in order to work wireless...

Regards
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

OK, I could not remember whether the 58 was ever here with the A700 and nothing else. That info about the Metz is valuable, the firmware upgrade increases its worth considerably - if it can control ratios and groups, that would be very good value.

David