Wireless trigger for a metz 48.Yes, no ... what to do? HELP

Cabled, wireless, studio - anything do with using flash
PedroDuarte
Initiate

Wireless trigger for a metz 48.Yes, no ... what to do? HELP

Unread post by PedroDuarte »

Hello all,

well, i'm having this problem with my flash/camera setup. I have a A550 and a Metz 48 AF-1. I though i could use this flash in wireless mode as a master... but i can't. It only works in Slave. I think this is more a problem of the A550 than of the flash.

The problem is that i need to have the pop-up flash on to use my flash in wireless mode. That's not a option for what i want to do.

So, i would like to ask for your advise on what to do to solve this "small" issue.

I know there's wireless triggers that you attach to the camera in order for the camera to "think" it as the flash on but it send the signal to the flash. Is this true? What parts do you advise to buy ? Do the work flawlessly ?

Thank you for your support
Pedro Duarte
Working with: Sony A550 with: Minolta 24mm f2.8 & 100-200 f4.5, CZ 16-80, Sony 50mm f1.4 and Metz 48 AF-1
Flickr photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/24358740@N07
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: Wireless trigger for a metz 48.Yes, no ... what to do? H

Unread post by Javelin »

Shoot in HSS and the onboard flash won't be contibuting any light at all to the scene. you could also use a strip of processed but not exposed pring film to cover the onboard and block the light. (this makes an IR pass filter) or get a wireless trigger and use that in manual mode.
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

PedroDuarte wrote:Hello all,

well, i'm having this problem with my flash/camera setup. I have a A550 and a Metz 48 AF-1. I though i could use this flash in wireless mode as a master... but i can't. It only works in Slave. I think this is more a problem of the A550 than of the flash.
Only the 58 AF-1 with the last firmware upgrade work as master (and I'm not sure it does it in other but the A900/A850) but I don't have the A550 so I can not tell...
PedroDuarte wrote:The problem is that i need to have the pop-up flash on to use my flash in wireless mode. That's not a option for what i want to do.

So, i would like to ask for your advise on what to do to solve this "small" issue.
Probably if you give us more hints about "what you do want to do" we can help you solving the issue ;-)

If I want to avoid reflections, I place a cardboard below the on-board flash.
Since apparently you are ready for invest some money in the solution, buying the F20AM can help you -you can bounce this little flash.

Wired flash doesn't work?

Regards
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

I don't think I'm 'getting it' Pedro, is it you want to use the Metz as an off camera master? if so, I don't think you can do that with any flash.
Greg
PedroDuarte
Initiate

Ok, let me explain.

What i wanted to do is to use my Metz flash, off camera ( in a stand ). What i don't want to do, is to use my pop-up flash.

So my doubt is, everytime i have my Metz off camera, i need to have my pop-up flash on?

Isn't there a way to use my Metz flash, off camera, without firing the pop-up flash?

That's my doubt :)
Pedro Duarte
Working with: Sony A550 with: Minolta 24mm f2.8 & 100-200 f4.5, CZ 16-80, Sony 50mm f1.4 and Metz 48 AF-1
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

PedroDuarte wrote:Ok, let me explain.

What i wanted to do is to use my Metz flash, off camera ( in a stand ). What i don't want to do, is to use my pop-up flash.

So my doubt is, everytime i have my Metz off camera, i need to have my pop-up flash on?

Isn't there a way to use my Metz flash, off camera, without firing the pop-up flash?

That's my doubt :)
If you can find an on-flash clipper like the one with the Metz ringflash that could be an answer to your quest.
I don't know if there is some third party slave-flash trigger mounting on the dslr shoe (there might be a Chinese one :roll: )
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

The pop-up flash simply controls the Metz. It does not actually fire during the exposure, or only to a degree which can not be detected. There is no need to worry about the pop-up contributing light to the shot, unless you are working around f/2 to f/4 with the remote flash a long way from the subject using a reflector, and the pop-up is very close to the subject. The most you get is a tiny light in the subject's eyes from the pop-ups control signal flash.

David
PedroDuarte
Initiate

Hmmm... David, with a A550, the pop up flash fires. i really don't know how strong the flashlight is but, it's not that "dimmed" ... :x

The problem is that i only wanted to capture the light from the metz flash, that's behind the subject... and if the pop up flash fires to command the metz... than the effect will not be the same... i will get the back lightning from the metz but a front lightning from a550 pop up flash :X
Pedro Duarte
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

It may not look dimmed, but the flashes it emits do not coincide with the flash from the Metz, or with the exposure. What you are seeing is the sequence of control flashes. It's impossible to have TTL wireless flash without this.

If you just want wireless triggering from the camera, then you must buy a suitable wireless trigger (you will not be able to use live view though on the A550). There's not really anything on the market yet that can do it properly.

David
PedroDuarte
Initiate

bummer :(

What's your advise on a wireless trigger?
It seems that everything is pretty much "Chinese built" ...

( thank you for the help people, really useful :) )
Pedro Duarte
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

I guess one could briefly consider the hideously expensive cable option, OC cable, OC shoe, and numerous EX cables. The A700 has a sync socket which greatly simplifies things when doing something like this, the much cheaper, ordinary sync cables can then be used, but alas the A550 doesn't have a sync socket. (even so you would still need the OC shoe).
The only really sensible option is as David says, purchase a suitable radio slave transmitter and receiver, I'm not sure if there is one for the i-shoe though....that could be a problem.
Minolta used to make an adapter for the i-shoe that had both the sync socket in the side and the older ISO shoe on top...but again alas, Sony doesn't offer this accessory item.... I think Sony did have an attempt at making one, (it was a bit klutzy looking and expensive), and I'm not sure if it's still available.
Greg
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Just look on eBay, there is certainly a popular transmitter for the i-shoe - but the receivers are for regular flash. This is the problem. If you then add adaptors, the flash won't fire (or may not, it depends on the control settings).

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Wireless-Flash-Tr ... 0540849837

David
PedroDuarte
Initiate

bummer x 2 ... ehehhee

Oh boy ... it's better to just hope that A7xx will come with some nice flash controlled tweaking , like Canon 7D ;)
Or just try a different shot ehehehhe
Pedro Duarte
UrsaMajor
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by UrsaMajor »

David Kilpatrick wrote:Just look on eBay, there is certainly a popular transmitter for the i-shoe - but the receivers are for regular flash. This is the problem. If you then add adaptors, the flash won't fire (or may not, it depends on the control settings).
At the PMA show in February, I stopped by the Yongnuo table and spoke with the young woman who was staffing it at the time. When I asked her about the availability of Sony-compatible receivers, she stated that they did not yet have any suitable products available, but that they were working on them and would release them "only when they work correctly". When I asked about the timing of market availability, she said that their current (February) estimate was "early summer, assuming engineering does not encounter any unexpected problems".

With best wishes,
- Tom -
PedroDuarte
Initiate

Do you think that Sony F58AM can control a Metz 48 AF-1 ?

I can see me using 2 flashes... i just don't want to get a second flash without knowing if it's compatible with my Metz. I love the metz and i really don't want to keep it on the shelf if the Sony F58AM doesn't sync with it...

Thank you
Pedro
Pedro Duarte