Not sure which flash unit to get

Cabled, wireless, studio - anything do with using flash
lmsolonynko

Not sure which flash unit to get

Unread post by lmsolonynko »

I am looking to purchase a flash unit for my A100 but am unsure what to get. I am not into portraiture, but I want a basic unit that will provide better overall lighting than the onboard flash. I read about the sigma, the sony HVL-F36AM, 42, 56, and soon to come out 58. There are simply too many. I am also looking at upgrading to the A350 later on. I heard that the HVL-F56AM is now discontinued. I would like to get something that would work on the A100 and the 350. I would love to get my hands on the A900, but I am sure it will be out of my price range (I have also heard that only the HVL...58 will work with the 900). The HVL...58 will be in the range of $500 and that is also a bit rich for me.

I would like a flash unit that will help me with less formal portraits (I have been asked to shoot some military functions...nothing too fancy though), to help smooth out the lighting.

I was looking at the basic HVL...36, and from what I saw, it looks like it has no swivel ability. That would be a big negative I think. I do not want to spend a lot of money on a flash, but I need something better than the onboard one. I would really appreciate some advice.
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: Not sure which flash unit to get

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Go for the HVL-F42AM. I think it would be the best imho.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: Not sure which flash unit to get

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

The 42 is your only sensible current option, and it's a good little flash.

David