A300/A350 Studio flash article

Cabled, wireless, studio - anything do with using flash
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

A300/A350 Studio flash article

Unread post by Javelin »

Hi David

I have a 360PX and an A200 here I might be able to test something for you if you tell me what you need done. the trouble is I don't have an FS-1100 adaptor
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: A300/A350 Studio flash article

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

I don't think the test can be done without an FS-1100. Remind me, can the 360PX (which I used to own) be set to manual fractional powers?

I am pretty sure the FS-1100 works to relay the auto-on signal from the flash, as my Macro Flash 1200 AF uses an adaptor. So the 360PX should also set the camera up correctly. The 1200 AF is similar to a 4000AF in operation, and the protocol for that is identical to the 360PX.

Would you like an off-camera flash sensor cable for the 360PX? I have one remaining from the old Minolta stock, a tenner inc post. Last one.

David
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

Ok Just thought I would ask. the 360PX does do manual, TTL (on film for the MPS system) and it has a thyrister for automatic and fractional power settings down to 1/32

Re: the cable; Yes actually I might be able to use that somehow. if it's the one I'm thinking of, it fits the camera ISO hotshoe and disables the sensor on the flash in favour of a built in sensor on the hotshoe so as the sensor shuts down the flash from the POV of the camera? Did my Sub and strap leave yet?

David Kilpatrick wrote:I don't think the test can be done without an FS-1100. Remind me, can the 360PX (which I used to own) be set to manual fractional powers?

I am pretty sure the FS-1100 works to relay the auto-on signal from the flash, as my Macro Flash 1200 AF uses an adaptor. So the 360PX should also set the camera up correctly. The 1200 AF is similar to a 4000AF in operation, and the protocol for that is identical to the 360PX.

Would you like an off-camera flash sensor cable for the 360PX? I have one remaining from the old Minolta stock, a tenner inc post. Last one.

David
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Yes, that is the cable. It plugs into the flash, and takes over from the flash onboard sensor with one which fits an (old) Minolta hot shoe, so that you can wave the flash around freely for bounce and the sensor is always aiming at your subject.

I posted the sub and strap, yes, on their way. If you want the remote sensor, it's the customary tenner (£10 - $20) including airmail post.

David
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

I will take you up on that. look for the transaction in a few hours. Lets see now. this sensor works by breaking power on a circuit when the sensor gets enough light right? and thesensor on this should be tuned well to expose a scene correctly for a Minolta camera. I wander If I can graft the thing into my 80PX ring flash? has anyone ever posted a schematic of the flashes ? I've often glancingly thought of trying to combine the 360px and the 80px to make an automatic thyrister ringflash to work on my sony
VinceF
Acolyte

Unread post by VinceF »

I am probably way behind on this...I bought Sony A300 in May and tried to use with Studio Flash, the same way I have used my Minolta 7D...Flashgun on low setting, camera on Man Exp to use flash as burst to set off Studio Flash...Of course did not work properly...Tried FS1100 and did not work either...In yeras of studio work, I have never used a cable attached...Much prefer without cable.....Contacted Sony, who informed me that FS1100 not compatible with A300, but worse still, could not offer ANY guidance on how to get round this....I still do studio work with my Minolta 7D, but would like to use the Sony A300 as well....Can anyone offer any help....?
I am now seriously thinking of moving to Canon, once I have got all their info, on Studio Flash......I'm sorry to say that I have not been impressed with Sony's customer care.....In saying that, I am impressed with the A300...( I tend to use the 5600HS (D) or the 3600HS (D)....Even use the 5200 on the 7D )
Is there an answer to this...Help, please.......Thank you
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

you may find your answer in here.

http://www.photoclubalpha.com/2008/07/2 ... io-solved/

if not I'm sure someone more knowledgeable can help. there are people successfully using studio lights with you model so I'm sure it can be made to work.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Sony has introduced a new version of their hot shoe adaptor for the A350/A300 to use PocketWizard, slave triggers, Wien, Skyport and similar devices to fire studio flash. This new adaptor is battery powered, and has a hot shoe on top, but no PC socket. When you switch it on, the camera is set to 1/60th-1/160th flash synch just the same as if you had a flashgun attached and ready to fire. The Auto Gain on the LV screen is immediately turned on, and you get a normal studio view from your modelling lights. If you use very bright modelling the flash sync speed will rise to 1/160th, if you have dim modelling it will fall to 1/60th (with points in between).

This adaptor is one of the first outcomes of photoclubalpha - I alerted Paul Genge of Sony UK to the problem, he then spent two weeks arguing with the Japanese to convince them it was a real problem, and finally they came up with a solution which was unveiled at the Alpha 900 launch - the FA-HS1AM is modified (apparently) to work properly. The older PC sync terminal adaptor FS-ST1AM does not do this. Remember - HS not ST in the model number! The new adaptor is not in the latest Alpha catalogue but it is on their websites.

You can also use old Minolta flashes. The 5400xi flash, for example, is useless on Alpha digital cameras exept as a full power or manual power flash. But - you can set it have 1/32nd manual power, and aim it upwards as a trigger flash for slave. This gun will then auto set the A300/350 to use LV gain and give you normal viewing in the studio. So, a cheap solution is to find an 5200i, 5400xi on ebay and use this as a flash slave trigger. It's a bit big of course but you get thousands of trigger firings per battery set.

David
VinceF
Acolyte

Unread post by VinceF »

I have now tried to use the information given previously about setting flash to manual and power setting of 1/32 to trigger studio flash with the A300 in aperture priority mode and sorry to report this did not work...!!!The Flash ( 5600HS (D)..was set to M, but as soon as the camera was switched on, the flashgun reset itself to TTL....So I'm afraid I am back to square one.....Unless someone knows of another way round this problem..??
Again, any help is appreciated......Thanks
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Set the camera to A (I think that it Green auto mode or some other modes, it will over-ride the flash and set it to Auto by force but A allows manual power). At least, it does on my 5600 HS (D) and A350.

David
VinceF
Acolyte

Unread post by VinceF »

Thank you, David, for your last comment....That got me thinking and I have now discovered that the A300 is done a bit different to use with Studio Flash.....The Flashgun,as you say, is set to Manual at 1/32 power to trigger Studio Flash and the A300 is also set to Manual Exposure, in the normal way you would use it in a Studio.....I ran a test last night and have now used it today....It was your comment that set me down this route....Once again, Thanks.......