Got me a Metz 48 Flash.... advice and tutorials?

Cabled, wireless, studio - anything do with using flash
NeilOffkey75
Heirophant

Got me a Metz 48 Flash.... advice and tutorials?

Unread post by NeilOffkey75 »

I have recently bought a flash from the wonderful member Scooterman and I am over the moon with it. The only thing now is a resource for advice or tutorials on how to get the best from my new flash.

I am a complete newbie when it comes to flash photography, so any advice or links to sites that can help for beginners I would be greatly appreciated. :D
Sony A200 - Minolta AF 75-300mm - Sony 50mm DT f1.8/50 SAM - Sigma 24-70/2.8 EX DG Macro
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: Got me a Metz 48 Flash.... advice and tutorials?

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
NeilOffkey75
Heirophant

Help again!! This all seems to relate to off camera flash where I wont be doing this due to the Metz being attached to my camera. I just want to be able to grasp the basics of using manual flash settings and ttl as my head is about to explode due to each time I attempt a shot using my flash it looks massively over exposed or down right awful.
Sony A200 - Minolta AF 75-300mm - Sony 50mm DT f1.8/50 SAM - Sigma 24-70/2.8 EX DG Macro
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Usually I would suspect some kind of hotshoe contact problem or maybe a lens diaphragm that's sticky when bad direct flash exposures happen repeatedly. The lenses I see in your lens list would seen to preclude a sticky diaphragm as they are all newish, so that leaves the contacts as a possible culprit, even a lens contact can be a possible cause perhaps. Camera settings might be worth checking to make sure there is nothing outlandish like a high ISO being set for example. Maybe try Auto ISO A mode or Auto ISO P mode on various subjects and distances just to see how that goes.
Greg
NeilOffkey75
Heirophant

Greg Beetham wrote:Usually I would suspect some kind of hotshoe contact problem or maybe a lens diaphragm that's sticky when bad direct flash exposures happen repeatedly. The lenses I see in your lens list would seen to preclude a sticky diaphragm as they are all newish, so that leaves the contacts as a possible culprit, even a lens contact can be a possible cause perhaps. Camera settings might be worth checking to make sure there is nothing outlandish like a high ISO being set for example. Maybe try Auto ISO A mode or Auto ISO P mode on various subjects and distances just to see how that goes.
Greg

Hi Greg, I dont think there is an issue with the flash itself, I believe its me trying to grasp the basics of flash. Currently looking for a book to read regarding the subject.