Sunpak PZ 5000AF Flash: ADI-TTL for KM 7/7D? NEW INFO!!

Cabled, wireless, studio - anything do with using flash
Viewfinder [ + ]USA1
Acolyte

Sunpak PZ 5000AF Flash: ADI-TTL for KM 7/7D? NEW INFO!!

Unread post by Viewfinder [ + ]USA1 »

Hi, I've just purchased a Sunpak PZ5000 AF Flash, in excellent condition, for Konica Minolta cameras. I'd like to know if anyone that has used, or has this Flash can verify that it is ADI compatible with my Minolta Maxxum 7, and Konica Minolta 7D cameras, when using a Konica Minolta "D" Lens. The Flash didn't come with an Owner's Manual, and I'm currently looking for one. There was no Info for it on the ToCAD (Sunpak) Website. One source (cnet) lists the Supported Exposure Control as being TTL, ADI.

When powered up, there are Five Modes that I see: TTL, A-TTL, A, M, and MULTI, also, a 1/64 Power Ratio, 2nd Curtain Sync, Strobe, Slave, and Four (4) Channel Wireless (WL) Flash Mode, on the Back-Lit LCD Display. The PZ5000AF has an Auto, or Manual, Power-Zoom Head for Lens coverage from 28mm - 135mm.

A big Thank You, to anyone that can help with more information on this Flash.
Last edited by Viewfinder [ + ]USA1 on Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: Sunpak PZ5000 AF Flash: TTL-ADI compatible for Maxxum 7/

Unread post by Dusty »

I have that flash - but not the manual, either - and use it on my a350. I've found I only get good results in pre-flash TTL mode on the camera w/ A-TTL set on the flash. I have used it wirelessly, and my a350's flash did set it off correctly.

If you find a manual, I'd appreciate a scanned copy!

Dusty
Viewfinder [ + ]USA1
Acolyte

Hi Dusty,
Thanks for the bit of info on the PZ5000AF. It's good to hear that it works on a Sony DSLR. The one thing that concerned me was, if the Flash-Trigger Voltage is correct for a Maxxum 7 or KM 7D DSLR. Near as I can tell, (from some old Shutterbug, Modern Photography, and Popular Photography Magazines) this Flash was being produced by Sunpak during a period of years, from about 2000-2006, when Minolta was producing the Maxxum 9, 7, and 5, 35mm SLR's, and then to Konica Minolta, and the transition to Digital, with the 7D and 5D DSLR's, in 2004-2006.

In 2006, Sunpak also brought forth the PZ40x II AF TTL w/ADI, a more compact and lighter Flash Unit (2AA vs 4AA cells) but it has a shorter zoom range than the PZ5000AF.
If I ever do get a manual for the PZ5000, I'll make a copy for you.

JL
InTheSky
Viceroy

Unread post by InTheSky »

I have the flash, and it is not working for the TTL or even the ADI on Digital A900 or the A700, and also the 7D. It received the information for the angle of view from the lens, but this is the only real communication support. It acts has a 5400HS. (but with better control I admit) I think I have the user manual somewhere at home, I will try to check tonight.

It was working perfectly even in wireless with the 600Si and the 800 (also).

I'm using it as a backup for the slave option on it only for me (I have 5 x 5600HS and two 5400HS). When connect into wired with the Minolta flash, I was using it to trig in slave.

Last time I really used it (it was hidden in the paint can to fake a light):

The setup :-) : (you can almost see it on the top of the paint can on the desktop)
http://www.pbase.com/nadeauf/image/90650194/original

Regards,

Frank
Frank
A7 (R, S & R II) + NEX 3N ( and few lenses )
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

Frank,

Try it on the A-TTL setting. That's the only setting where I got it to work right with my a350.

Dusty
Viewfinder [ + ]USA1
Acolyte

Re: Sunpak PZ 5000AF Flash: ADI-TTL for KM 7/7D? NEW INFO!!

Hi Dusty,
Hi Frank,
It took awhile, but I got some more info on the Sunpak PZ 5000AF.
Went to a "Camera Show", where you can buy, sell, or trade. Someone there had the Flash unit with the Minolta (MX) owner's manual for sale. I told him that I have the same Flash and was looking for a manual, but he wouldn't part the two. He did however, let me take some shots of the pages, and write down some info.
So O-K, here goes:
The Sunpak PZ 5000AF is designed for Minolta a-i, (The 'a' looks like the "Sony" 'a'.), -si, and -xi series AF Cameras.
Auto/Manual Power Zoom from 28mm-135mm. A large backlit LCD Panel (20 seconds duration when Lighted).
Offers both the ADI Flash Mode and TTL Auto Flash Mode, plus TTL Wireless Mode, and "Auto Sensor Mode'.
"MULTI" Flash Mode provides a 'stroboscopic' effect. A 19 Position stepped Light Output from 1/64 to Full.
Rear-Curtain Sync Photography, Flash Unit Slave Function, and a "Automatic shut-down/Standby" Function.
The PZ 5000AF Flash has an ISO (Film) Speed Range from ISO 6 to ISO 6400.
Use 'AA' Alkaline or 'AA' rechargeable Nickel-Cadmium (Ni-Cad) Batteries. NOTE-Do Not Use Lithium Batteries.
Can use External Sunpak Powerpack NC-510 or TR-PAK II.

ADI Mode:
The ADI Flash Mode can be used, when this flash unit is used with a Camera equipped with the ADI flash function, and a 'D'-type Lens has been mounted on the Camera. Install the Flash on the Camera, and push the (MODE) mode-switching button until the "A TTL" signal is displayed on the LCD Screen. When in ADI Flash Mode, the flash's built-in computer calculates the Aperture (F-number) and ISO (film) speed from signals from the Camera, and the optimal distance of TTL flash will be displayed. The optimum distance will not be displayed unless the Shutter Button on the Camera is pressed 'lightly', or until the ready "OK" signal appears. The Distance will be indicated on a Bar Graph, ranging from 0.5m to 32.0m (1.6ft to 105.0ft).

Differences between Sensor-Monitored Flash Methods in the TTL modes.
ADI Flash Method- In this sensor-monitored method, a monitor flash is fired just before the strobe flash goes off. The results of this photometry, and the distance data from a D-Type Lens, are then used to set the intensity of the actual flash at the optimum value. This method can only be used with Camera's that are equipped for ADI function with a D-type Lens attached.

TTL Flash Method- The Flash is set to achieve the optimum exposure, for the object or subject being photographed, at all times. Since the Brightness of the Background is not factored in, the object being photographed may stand out too much, depending upon the amount of ambient light, and the shooting conditions.

Hope you find this information helpful.
JL

Last bumped by Viewfinder [ + ]USA1 on Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:46 am.