Minolta Ringflash vs Sony Twin Flash for Butterfly Macros

Cabled, wireless, studio - anything do with using flash
Mike-Photos
Oligarch

Minolta Ringflash vs Sony Twin Flash for Butterfly Macros

Unread post by Mike-Photos »

Hello

A question about using which flash for butterflies. I have both the Minolta Ring Flash and the Sony Twin Flash, and I've never been able to decide which is better. On both, I can get light speckles reflecting off butterfly wings, and I usually dial in -.7 flash compensation, which helps somewhat.

Also on both I find that colors sometimes reproduce horribly wrong. I shoot in RAW and try to adjust WB using the auto and manual settings, but reds in particular are wrong. In any event, I find that auto WB and flash WB yield identical results. To get the colors right I used to shoot without flash and then used that (blurred) shot as a color guide. Then I got wise and bought a book from the butterfly conservatory that shows all the species.

All the above observations are with the A900. I'm going to try the A77 on the weekend, but I'm not sure which one to take along.

Logic would seem to dictate the ring flash as being better. There are four flashes that cancel the shadows (or you can just use less than four anyway), and when you switch to portrait mode you don't have to worry about aligning the two flashes.

Any help on the above would be appreciated.
Mike
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: Minolta Ringflash vs Sony Twin Flash for Butterfly Macro

Unread post by Javelin »

for butterflies I'm not sure I would use either. what lens?. Butterflies are pretty big animals and you don't normally need high magnification to show them. if your using a 100mm macro and getting close up detail shots then the ring flash for sure but if your using a 200mm zoom or along those lines then just a regular shoe mount flash would work. I use them hand held and wirelessly this way to create some depth.
Mike-Photos
Oligarch

Unread post by Mike-Photos »

Javelin wrote:for butterflies I'm not sure I would use either. what lens?. Butterflies are pretty big animals and you don't normally need high magnification to show them. if your using a 100mm macro and getting close up detail shots then the ring flash for sure but if your using a 200mm zoom or along those lines then just a regular shoe mount flash would work. I use them hand held and wirelessly this way to create some depth.
Thanks, I am using the 100mm macro, and sometimes I get real close.
Mike
Pirate
Oligarch

Unread post by Pirate »

If you want a dedicated ring flash then get a Delta DRF-14 S from Foto-Tip via evilBay (Item: 110488893805). I have one for my A850/Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 1:1 Di Macro and it works perfectly. It's a re-branded Marumi.

No need to spend silly money. They sometimes come up for around £25.00 (used but not abused).
Ken M
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Ken M »

Pirate wrote:If you want a dedicated ring flash then get a Delta DRF-14 S from Foto-Tip via evilBay (Item: 110488893805). I have one for my A850/Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 1:1 Di Macro and it works perfectly. It's a re-branded Marumi.

No need to spend silly money. They sometimes come up for around £25.00 (used but not abused).

Wow that is a very interesting price! I might just get one too!! :wink: :idea:
A65 16mm-50mm 2.8
Tamron 72E 90mm 2.8 Macro
Sony 35mm 1.8 Sony
Sony 55-300mm and 55-200mm

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Pirate
Oligarch

Unread post by Pirate »

Ken M wrote:Wow that is a very interesting price! I might just get one too!! :wink: :idea:
It would be criminal not to 8)
Marcell Nikolausz
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Marcell Nikolausz »

I would use the twin flash. The ring flash effect is nice but it can be boring after a while. You may add additional diffusor to soften the light.

Marcell