EVF brightness on A57 with studio flash and manual setting

Cabled, wireless, studio - anything do with using flash
Roger101
Acolyte

EVF brightness on A57 with studio flash and manual setting

Unread post by Roger101 »

I recently bought an Alpha 57 having used an A 700 for many years. So far I am quite impressed and even like the EVF under "normal" conditions. However last night I was trying to use wireless trigered studio flash and for this needed to set the camera at 1/125 as f14. Clearly the f14 was correct for the flash power and the 1/125 minimised the effect of any ambient light. Now since the EVF/Monitor shows the image to be expected under these condition (but obviously without the flash) it was almost impossible to see anything.

I seem to remember I had a similar problem years ago with a KM A1 and there was some override which showed normal brightness on the monitor. I have searched the menus on the A57, the instruction book as well as this forum and "Google" but cannot find any mention of this topic. Any help would be appreciated.

Later update

I seems there is no software fix to this problem but there is a rather crude work around. Simply lifting the camera's built in flash restors the Live View and EVF brightness but does not stop the wireless triger working. However be sure to reduce the EV of the flash (via Fn button) or mask the output of the flash.

Until Sony develop a sofware fix for this problem I would not recommend using this camera for off camera studio work. Does anyone know if this problem applies to the other SLT cameras?
A77ii, NEX6 Sony 18-250, Sigma 50-150 f2.8, Sigma 70m Macro, Sony A16-50 2.8, Minolta 50 mm 1.7. Sony E18-50, 55-110.
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: EVF brightness on A57 with studio flash and manual sett

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Can't say much for off camera studio work, but have you tried with the menu item "Live View Display" to switch off? I'm not sure whether that is available on the a57.
Anyway, allow me also to welcome you on this forum. You have made a good choice joining us here.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Roger101
Acolyte

Unread post by Roger101 »

Many thanks Dr H - you've got it! Must have been one of the few items I didn't try but by switching off the "Setting Effect" you get the normal brightness and can even see the proverbial black cat in a coal cellar. Even the Sony support line does not mention this.

Thanks for your welcome but I have to admit I have been watching this site for many years and visited David in Kelso a couple of year ago to see the engine room of this great website. I have read many of your posts so feel I know the core group already! I will try to participate more now that I have broken the ice. I have had Minoltas (and Sonys) for about 50 years and the A57 is my 6th digital camera "replacing" my A700. (My first in 1998 was the first Nikon Coolpix with 1.1 Meg sensor and cost about £900 - $1300! I've still got it and it still works).
Thanks again for your help
Roger
A77ii, NEX6 Sony 18-250, Sigma 50-150 f2.8, Sigma 70m Macro, Sony A16-50 2.8, Minolta 50 mm 1.7. Sony E18-50, 55-110.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

The Doc is our EVF expert :)

Glad you've broken the ice Roger. Hope we can see some of your studio shots now the view finder issue is sorted.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Headcell
Initiate

Unread post by Headcell »

Hello Roger. I bought the A57 yesterday and LOVE this camera. I won't be doing any studio work - I'm just a perpetual noob! - but I love the way the live view/EVF show me what the photo will look like before I've taken it. Video is my background, so I guess that's why I prefer it to an optical viewfinder.