External Flash for G15

Cabled, wireless, studio - anything do with using flash
harvey
Oligarch

External Flash for G15

Unread post by harvey »

I'm hoping that the experienced people on this forum might be able to offer some advice.

I finally decided to replace my Canon G9 travel camera, and despite some temptation from the new Sony DCX-RX100 I have gone for the Canon PowerShot G15. There are various reasons but I think for me it has the right compromize of size, features, useability and image quality for a travel camera. I have been happy with the G9, not as wide as I would like but there is always some compromise.

I would like to add a small external flash (with my G9 I only ever connected an Elinchrom Skyport trigger for studio flash (before I purchased my A900)). I like the design and dimensions of the Sony HVL-F20AM I use on the A900 when I don't want to take a large flash. The Canon flashes look a bit bulkier and I don't know if the independents offer anything that makes sense. And of course I want more power than the onboard flash but still something small and balanced.

Also, in the Canon world what would I do to take the flash off-camera?

Any suggestions?
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: External Flash for G15

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

I'd suggest the little Canon Speedlite 320EX, which has a video light built-in as a useful torch as well. It can operate wirelessly but you need a controller. The G15 is an awesome performer, by the way, and may be a replacement for the entire NEX system for me. I didn't bother to take NEX with me for a week away last week, and missed having a pocket camera but simply didn't want a second complete system when taking the Alpha 99.

The lens is something very special - a significant advance in design, matching the RX-100 in this respect but in my opinion (pending ACR/LR for G15) likely to outperform it.

David
mvanrheenen

Re: External Flash for G15

Unread post by mvanrheenen »

Check the 270EX as well. It's small and can be bounced.

Mark