Using older flashes with adapters.

Cabled, wireless, studio - anything do with using flash
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Using older flashes with adapters.

Unread post by Javelin »

http://www.voitzsch.net/flashconv_en.shtml

This is a link from DPR. actually I was at this page before but thought I would post it here. David maybe this might be something you could look into? maybe we could help the guy along with getting what he needs to make this compatible with newer cameras?

"secretly hoping he could make the adapter for the 80PX to work with the new cameras!"
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: Using older flashes with adapters.

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

I've seen this before. Because it involves opening and soldering components into the flashguns, I'm not keen on promoting it; if he offered a service, maybe. Not many owners will be sufficiently skilled at soldering small components to do this conversion cleanly. The 80PX is as useful as my 1200AF ringflash, on the digital bodies - that is, it's limited to manual full power operation. Since the conversion kit does not deal with earlier flash units like the 4000AF/2800AF (basis for the 1200AF) or the 320X/360PX (basis for the 80PX) I don't think it can help. Does the 80PX have a socket for the external off-camera flash sensor, like the 360PX? I seem to remember that it doesn't but I have photos or manuals around to confirm it.

David
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Javelin »

No it doesn't have have that connector. it has one for external power and one for the MF backs .. Is the only diference between the older and the really older flahses the zoom functions ?
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

The really old flashes - X and AF models - don't have an IC to communicate with the camera. They just have simple signal state and thyristor-type analogue TTL control connections, plus flash firing. From the new Dynax shoe onwards (models i, xi, si, HS, D) there is a serial communication taking place between the camera and flash. The old models lack this serial data interchange.

David