a700 with Minolta 3500i

Cabled, wireless, studio - anything do with using flash
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

a700 with Minolta 3500i

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

When I bought my 50/1.7 this winter the seller threw in a Minolta 3500i bounce flash. I have used it some with my Maxxum5, but haven't developed any film from it, but it seems to cause overexposure on my a700. Pointed straight ahead I get nothing but completely burned out images, however, if I point it straight up, it provides some excellent diffused light indoors, however unpredictable.

My question is do I have a bad (but free, and marginally useful) flash or is it simply not communicating with my a700? I also am having some trouble using it wirelessly...but then I may just be spoiled with my F56. I've only ever used them both when trying to do wireless firing or when I had both cameras active at the same time.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: a700 with Minolta 3500i

Unread post by Javelin »

It's likely firing at full power on every shot. the old film flashes won't work in TTL mode on the digital bodies. Does that flash have an automatic thyrister mode? if so that should work fine.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: a700 with Minolta 3500i

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

The 3500i should not communicate in wireless flash mode at all. In normal use, on the camera, it will fire at full power only.

Are you suggesting you have managed to get a 3500i to work wirelessly on a digital body?

David