Vivitar DF400MZ Flash and Alpha system. Any views?

Cabled, wireless, studio - anything do with using flash
plevyadophy
Acolyte

Vivitar DF400MZ Flash and Alpha system. Any views?

Unread post by plevyadophy »

Has anyone here come across the "Vivitar DF400MZ Flash for Sony - Konica Minolta Cameras TTL" before?

It looks to be ridiculously good value for money. My only concern with it is that it doesn't appear to be compatible with the Alpha wireless system; it apears to work only in "dumb slave" mode thus requiring another flashgun (in Manul or Auto Thyristor Mode) on the camera hotshoe.

The flash's details can be found here: http://www.gadgetinfinity.com/product.p ... 256&page=2

Comments and advice appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: Vivitar DF400MZ Flash and Alpha system. Any views?

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

I trust GadgetInfinity but the pix show two different flash units - one has the gold label on the opposite side and says 'E-TTL' on the light which says Auto OK for the other one. The slave mode would only work with a Min/Sony gun that could be forced to fire on manual - 5600, any older model (5400/3500 etc) or 58.

It has potential but I'd like it to be even cheaper for what if offers.

David
plevyadophy
Acolyte

David Kilpatrick wrote:
It has potential but I'd like it to be even cheaper for what if offers.

David
So what do you think it is lacking that makes you think it should be cheaper?

I thought it was VEERRY cheap .......... if one is purchasing with Pounds Sterling. If my memory is correct, it even works out cheaper than the HVL-F36AM ( ? ).

I am interested in your view on this.

As for Gadget Infinity pics, I noticed that too. But I guess the usual "pics for illustration purposes only" disclaimer applies. :)
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Well, it's the better part of £75 once shipped to the UK, and it has no wireless flash capability just a claimed TTL flash compatibility which has not been verified. Given that the plain non-wireless Sigma DG 530 ST (not the super) can be bought for £99 discounted, and offers a better zoom range plus an absolutely guaranteed Sony Alpha TTL matching - one of the things they worked on when replacing the 500 models with the 530 model - I would not risk the Vivitar unless it was more like £50-60 shipped. That $35 shipping charge does make quite a difference.

David
plevyadophy
Acolyte

David Kilpatrick wrote:Well, it's the better part of £75 once shipped to the UK, and it has no wireless flash capability just a claimed TTL flash compatibility which has not been verified. Given that the plain non-wireless Sigma DG 530 ST (not the super) can be bought for £99 discounted, and offers a better zoom range plus an absolutely guaranteed Sony Alpha TTL matching - one of the things they worked on when replacing the 500 models with the 530 model - I would not risk the Vivitar unless it was more like £50-60 shipped. That $35 shipping charge does make quite a difference.

David
Understood.

Thanks for that detailed answer.
[SiC]
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by [SiC] »

Hi!

That flash looks exactly the same as my Dörr D-AF42.. It is also sold under the Soligor brand.
I think the flash is pretty good value for money (at least in Sweden, can't give a verdict on prices abroad).

There are some example shots I've taken with my D7D here.

BR,
/Zeb!
Sony A700, A580, Nex-5t, KM D7D & VC-7D, M Dynax 500si
KM 17-35 F2.8-4 D, M 50 F1.7 RS, M 135 F2.8, M 28-100 F3.5-5.6 D, M 100-200 F4.5, T 70-300 F4-5.6 Di USD, S 18-55 F3.5-5.6 SAM, S 18-70 F3.5-5.6
Sony hvl-f42s, Minolta 3600 HS D
Sony Z1C & Z2
plevyadophy
Acolyte

David Kilpatrick wrote:Well, it's the better part of £75 once shipped to the UK, and it has no wireless flash capability just a claimed TTL flash compatibility which has not been verified. Given that the plain non-wireless Sigma DG 530 ST (not the super) can be bought for £99 discounted, and offers a better zoom range plus an absolutely guaranteed Sony Alpha TTL matching - one of the things they worked on when replacing the 500 models with the 530 model - I would not risk the Vivitar unless it was more like £50-60 shipped. That $35 shipping charge does make quite a difference.

David
Well, erm, I guess I know you are gonna take a dim view (in terms of price) of this Alpha compatible Jessops flash that I came across on Sunday: http://www.jessops.com/Store/s75165/0/F ... lse&comp=y

The funny thing is, the website says that it can't work in slave mode whilst the instructions in the box say it can (but it is not Alpha slave/remote mode; it's bog standard optical slave mode).

It also has a bounce card.

@22:02

I just had a closer look at the two flashguns. And it seems to me that the Vivitar and the Jessops flash are the same; just different branding.

I also noted the pricing. In-store the flash is £150 unless you buy a camera with it, in which case it is £99. However, from the online store/website it is £99 irrespective of whether or not you buy a camera.

So, at £99 do you think it's worth it,specially as Jessops will give a money back guarantee.?

And how exactly do you test to ensure that the flash is fully compatible with the Alpha TTL/D-TTL?

Thanks in advance.
[SiC]
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by [SiC] »

plevyadophy wrote: I just had a closer look at the two flashguns. And it seems to me that the Vivitar and the Jessops flash are the same; just different branding.
Seems so, and thus also the same unit as the Soligor DG-420Z and Dörr D-AF42 / 480 Ultra...
I have a Dörr D-AF42 and it works fine with TTL, just that sometimes it "forgets" to fire the real flash after sending the preflash... could be just my unit though :(

/Zeb!
Sony A700, A580, Nex-5t, KM D7D & VC-7D, M Dynax 500si
KM 17-35 F2.8-4 D, M 50 F1.7 RS, M 135 F2.8, M 28-100 F3.5-5.6 D, M 100-200 F4.5, T 70-300 F4-5.6 Di USD, S 18-55 F3.5-5.6 SAM, S 18-70 F3.5-5.6
Sony hvl-f42s, Minolta 3600 HS D
Sony Z1C & Z2