Need Info On The PermaPak System 6 Rechargeable Battery Pack

Cabled, wireless, studio - anything do with using flash
Viewfinder [ + ]USA1
Acolyte

Need Info On The PermaPak System 6 Rechargeable Battery Pack

Unread post by Viewfinder [ + ]USA1 »

I just purchased a used PermaPak System 6 and Rechargeable Battery Pack Module For Flash Units, in very good condition, and a Quantum Flash Cable with Module to fit my Minolta 3600 HS (D) Flash Unit, that also fits my Sunpak PZ 5000AF Flash Unit. The Control Module has Two Output Sockets for two Flash units.

So far, searching the internet turned up almost no info on the PermaPak System 6.
I did find out that the PermaPak Company is (was?) a Division of Photoco, Inc., and, that it was imported by the Mamiya America Corporation (MAC), but No Dates.

If anyone has used one for their Flash, and still has one, and/or, has any detailed information on it, please post a reply. It would also help to know the Year's it was Produced/Manufactured, the number of Flash Cycles Per Charge and Recycling Time, Charging Voltage info, Etc;.
Thank You,
JL
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: Need Info On The PermaPak System 6 Rechargeable Battery

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

If it has two outlets which look like phono plugs, it's a Quantum clone - lead-acid gel. I have a genuine Quantum, 20 years old now and still going strong. Lead-acid gel is very durable. Generally these batteries are 6V (four units inside) and slow charging from the mains, and provide about twice as fast recycling as standard alkalines, when fully charged, providing typically 200-300 full power flashes per charge (with a single gun attached).

Similar packs have been made under the Systems Imaging brand, these have been splittable (control unit and battery packs can be separated) unlike the classic Quantum Turbo which is a single integrated unit.

David