Minolta wireless remote flash controller.

Cabled, wireless, studio - anything do with using flash
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Minolta wireless remote flash controller.

Unread post by Javelin »

I just got one of these with a bag of cameras and accessories I picked up along with another 5400xi flash. (also got 700si and 9XI bodies which I've never tried before) This flash controller is all IR but it works a lot better than (or seems to) the flash controlled wireless on the digital cameras as far as triggering out of site flashes. I'm thinking of trying to duplicate this controller using Sony's digital protocols instead of the OTF system. I don't think it would be too hard to read the control flashes and figure out what pulses control what functions to make it work. but this controller charges up like a flash gun and seems to put out quite a bit of IR, basically it obliterates the live view on my nex and cell phone even in another room (bounced through an open door) so I wonder if there is somehow an IR flash tube in this thing? haven't taken it apart yet to see what makes it tick I was just wondering if anyone already knew?
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Re: Minolta wireless remote flash controller.

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Is that the IR-1n? if so DK wrote an article about the IR-1n some time ago, it’s only purpose in life is to trigger shutters not flashes though, and I don’t think it’s compatible with digital type systems, I think David mentions as much.
http://www.photoclubalpha.com/2007/08/0 ... ibilities/
Greg
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

Hi Greg.

No I had one of those and they work pretty well too Yes it is for shutter release. this is another device. it emits only IR to communicate with the flashes and you can set your groups on it. here is a pic from B&H (below)

It's a strange little unit that only works on some of the film bodies as I've found out. but it's a very powerful IR emitter and seems like something I might like to use with Sony. I shoot pics of machines a lot and the light from the on board does show in the windows on some of the machines so I've taken to use RF remotes for most stuff and that does work really well and was cheap to put together a system I just thought if I could get this to work then I could use the built in wireless instead and it might be useful to others.
I did try this on my A700 and it won't fire at all but works on the max 7,5 and 9xi I have here.

Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Ah so, the Minolta Wireless Flash Controller, that’s one I never had anything to do with, I get the impression after doing a bit of research http://thesybersite.com/minolta/flashfacts/ also http://www.mhohner.de/sony-minolta/flas ... p#wireless that that one was for analog wireless flash fancy stuff like group ratio control for compliant film cameras and flashes (some of which didn’t have an onboard flash).
I think the major problem (reading between the lines) with it is the digital cameras don’t have the real time OTF metering system that it was designed to communicate with, I don’t know why it couldn’t still send a sync pulse though unless they changed how that is transmitted as well, maybe different voltage and response timings http://www.mhohner.de/sony-minolta/flas ... agrams.php so the unit doesn’t recognize the camera it’s mounted on, it also apparently will only work with the 5400xi, 5400HS and 5600HS(D) flashes. http://www.mhohner.de/sony-minolta/flashcomp_multi.php
In any case even if it did work it would most likely want to communicate control signals with compliant flashes ‘DURING’ the exposure, maybe the hand book for it would through some light on it (so to speak) but I can’t find one so far.
Greg
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

Yes it's for the old OTF protocols. I don't know whats up with the weird array of bodies it does and doesn't work with. it should fire from them all at least but it doesn't. Of course digital is a different communication language and it happens before and after the exposure not just during the exposure like the OTF system does. I doesn't work with the 3600HS. I don't have a 5600HSd to test but usually what works with that works on my sigma but this doesn't work on it at all. Anyway I wouldn't have even brought this up if I hadn't discovered how much signal this thing puts out. if it would stop snowing here for a minute I'd like so see how far in daylight this would work because indoors it fires the flashes upstairs and around a corner (about 75' out of sight) and my A700 won't work in 1/2 that distance if it's not in line of sight. if there was one of these IR triggers for sale I would buy it instead of a control flash or using the built in so if I can figure out the protocols then i'm sure programming an emitter wouldn't be a big deal.

I thought I was mistaken that it charges like a flash because it was already charged but I just started it up again and can hear the caps filling . is there such a thing as an IR flash tube?
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

asked Michael Hohner about this unit, his response:

It's true, it's more than a IR transmitter. Towards the camera, it behaves
like a flash in wireless control mode, and towards the remote flash, it
behaves like a controller, and the protocols on both sides are not the
same.

This is interesting. Anyone know who make Minolta's flashes for them? the 5400HS for example?
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

ok the mystery is over. I took i apart, this thing is in fact a flash. it has a xenon tube inside and a big wet capacitor (240mfd 300wv I think this is the same size cap that's in the 36am flash) (which still gave a pretty good jolt after being discharged) there is just a fat IR pass filter in front of it blocking almost all the visible light. so it's probably the same power as the 20am at least and I guess that could explain it being so much stronger than the built in flashes.
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

actually on examination it does have another sensor on it. Looks like it has a prism and a blue filter that faces the same direction as the flash tube. must be to read back the light from the scene. I wonder why it would need that if it's reading off the film?
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Hmm maybe it needs that sensor to see the responses from the flashes it’s controlling?
I think you need a wiring diagram or even the design schematic to get anywhere with it but I have no idea where you would get that kind of info, the third party flash subs (whoever they are) might still have the detail on it perhaps but I don’t like the chances of getting it.
Greg