Metz 58 AF-2

Cabled, wireless, studio - anything do with using flash
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Metz 58 AF-2

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

I decided to pick this one up seeing a decent ebay deal going for a new one for £199
This should be the i-iso shoe version (I'll know when it turns up I didn't hear of any shoe changes for this model, the 52 model yes and the newer ones)

Having use the flash previously on Nikon I will say that right now if you want a decent flash with a bit of grunt in the power department that's pimped out with the full monty this is the one to go for. Not to knock the Sony flashes but so far the s/h prices have not dropped massively (they might over time with the now older shoe)
It's pretty pointless paying £150 for a s/h i-iso flash when you can get a brand new one for only a bit more.

I know some folks don't care for the Metz interface (it's push button logical though not as direct as the Sony flashes, ie the button functions change depending on what's on the LCD) it's not weather sealed and doesn't have the Sony swivel design but once you get over that there are a couple of massive advantages.

Now wishing to sound like a Metz salesman but there is one incredibly useful mode on this model the "A" mode or automatic this uses the on-board thyristor which completely bypasses the in camera flash TTL and shuts off when enough light is put out. Anyone who's been frustrated with exposures will know how handy this can be. I've not had huge issues to be fair, the A57 is fairly consistent, the A77 can be a bit hot at times (it's not been wildly off as bad as some reports but it's not quite as good as it should be or the A57) This overcomes any concerns about flash issues just on it's own, set the flash to A mode and fire and forget I used this on Nikon and the exposures were solid with the Metz. The only limitation is you can't use HSS so for outside work you'll need to use another mode

A few other things that draw me much more to Metz than Sony. Currently no Sony flash has an optical slave mode not even the newest offerings so if you mix and match flashes (I also have a 50 AF-1 and Yongnuo flash) then tough luck. Not so here all 3 will work just dandy with pre flash suppression using the onboard flash to fire them, that makes like a whole lot easier for some set ups. The 58 AF-2 is also fully compatible with the film bodies not that most would care, but I do.

You also have the audible beep when it's ready to fire (I missed this on the 50AF-1) again the lack of flash ready indicator in most viewfinder modes in the SLT cameras is an annoyance even more so is the lack of ability to set the camera to not fire unless the flash is ready, this is major grumble for me personally and you feel like a bit of a plank for standing there taking a shot with a flash and no flash firing (not ready) It can also act as a master flash controller, has the usual strobe, goes down to 1/256 power, has manual HSS mode too, the secondary flash is quite good (for some shots) and I've yet to have a Metz flash overhead on me.

Ok pitch over but seriously Sony you're asking for £350+ for a HVL-F60M (ok there is a cashback right now but it's still a £300 flash) that has no A Mode and has no optical slave mode either. The only slight downer is on Metz you have to screw it down no quick auto lock, but I can live with that.

I'll update the report once I get the unit but if you're deal hunting this is probably worth a look
the_hefay
Viceroy

Re: Metz 58 AF-2

Unread post by the_hefay »

Any update on the flash?
bfitzgerald

Yes used it for a few weddings no problems to report using A or TTL can have an influence on things sometimes the camera will have a tendency to increase ISO in A mode and use less flash power (more balancing) TTL will tend to favour increasing flash power a bit more. Both are useful to have flash is working great no gripes or grumbles.

I see some on ebay still for good prices well worth grabbing one, I'd almost get a second one but I have 3 flashes now and can't really see the need for more
the_hefay
Viceroy

Unread post by the_hefay »

Thanks for the info.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Metz filing for insolvency http://www.dpreview.com/articles/671894 ... insolvency might not immediately affect the camera flash side of things perhaps, not that you could affect it any worse I’d say, what with the need for flash units diminished because it seems many photographers don’t use flash as much, the cameras being better now with available light and at lower light levels than back in the film days or the previous generation of digital cameras. (possibly the firmware and software is improved these days too not just the sensors)
I’d hate to see Metz disappear from the photographic scene but what will be will be I guess. :(
Greg
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Hi Greg, happy new year!

I guess with cheaper pro lighting solutions and, LED constant lights of one sort or another, Metz are being squeezed from this side as well.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Hi Birma, thanks and happy new year to you and yours,
yes you are quite correct with the LED panels making inroads into traditional lighting systems I'd say, the only thing going for camera flash now is probably portability and possibly motion freezing capability although it's difficult to say how comparable motion freezing with digital is with film, I got the impression strongly that a flash pulse at 1/50000sec isn't possible with digital because of interference with internal frequencies, but then how often do we need pulse speeds that high?
Anyway we'll see eventually what develops in the future, the market will determine the outcome of winners and losers as always.
regards
Greg
bfitzgerald

I hope things pan out for Metz they make good flashes and have top tier customer support (something sadly lacking in the industry)
LED lights well I've been talking to a few video guys at weddings and basically they work for them but are far less useful for photographers it's the size problem you need a fairly large panel to output some meaty light and it's not going to be easy to carry it around.

A flash on the other hand emits a very short but powerful blast of light they are quite different and it shows with the panels I have seen in use. Now they might be of some use for additional lighting and set ups but LED panels are not going to replace flashes bottom line and this comes from fairly experienced video guys I know. The power required to bounce light off a ceiling is quite a bit and you ain't gonna get that with LED's
bfitzgerald

This is interesting the flash arrived back after they agreed to return it, and it's now working
There was no indication of a repair from the return sheet
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Maybe they mistakenly sent you someone else's already repaired flash. Then the other person will get your unrepaired flash with an explanation of what they repaired. :lol:
bfitzgerald

Nope can't be that I checked the box same serial number. The flash certainly was not working when it went off, and now it is maybe they had a change of heart
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Okay, then clearly it was dropped, kicked, or some other violence done to it so that now it works. :lol: Sometimes that is the only way to get unruly things back in line. :lol:
bfitzgerald

I gave it a thump before I sent it off. I'm still lost on this one Columbo would be stumped too

Either
1: It was faulty and got repaired (by mistake or as a gesture)
2: It had a "oddball" temporary fault which somehow sorted itself out

The flash tube def looked gone to me a tiny small light not even near a low powered flash
I can't imaging the service area would miss that so I suspect it got repaired for reason/reasons unknown I did moan quite a lot to the manager I spoke to