Wireless Flash Cheat

Cabled, wireless, studio - anything do with using flash
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Wireless Flash Cheat

Unread post by Dusty »

The other day I was taking shots of some product brochures we'd produced over the years for a client, to be used in a PowerPoint of the program's highlights over the last 9 years. Laid them our, set the the Metz flash up for wireless and stuck in on the light stand to bounce off of the ceiling.

Every one of them had a hot spot where the built in flash triggering the Metz shone directly over the glossy brochures. No problem, I'll just rubberband tissue paper over the camera flash and that solves the problem, right? Yes and no. :roll:

Still a hot spot, so more layers of tissue paper. Until I get the the point where the glare is gone, but now the problem is the control signal flash is too week to fire the Metz!

Finally, I pulled the corner of the tissue paper next to the Metz out of the rubberband, so that it was still in front of the flash, but standing away a bit to let the light leak out sideways. FIXED! YEAH!

I think I'll be adding some translucent plastic to my kit that I can bend over the flashhead and attach easily in an arc so that the wireless can get it's signals, but the subject doesn't.

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: Wireless Flash Cheat

Unread post by Javelin »

I wonder if Metz sells their IR pass filter for the macro flash separately? seems like an item that could get lost and would solve this problem
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: Wireless Flash Cheat

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

You could get some radio triggers I have a set normal hot shoe but just get the adapter for the i-ISO shoe to normal one and the reverse for the flash, manual only but it works well