Multi interface shoe problems are real

Cabled, wireless, studio - anything do with using flash
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Multi interface shoe problems are real

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

I've been testing some wireless flash triggers and a NW320 compact flash

Problem quite simple the sync port misses the trigger sync port because the multi interface shoe has an off central sync this won't always apply it depends on the design on the two triggers I tested the Neewer flash didn't work. It is actually a really nice flash and it's not the fault of the maker they just made the shoe to Sony's spec.

You have two options to file down the front plastic lips on the triggers so that the sync port contacts or use an adapter to convert the multi interface shoe to an i-ISO one then another adapter to convert it to a standard shoe with the central sync port actually being central.

There may be flash triggers out there that do work (of course both work perfectly well with standard flash shoes or using the i-ISO adapter which converts it to a normal shoe) For manual triggers this works fine. You'll notice on the camera bodies Sony made the central port oversized so the problem shouldn't exist there (I don't have a MIS camera as of yet) But for MIS flashes watch out do some research or get the file out!
DSCF8016.JPG
(271.4 KiB) Downloaded 2429 times
DSCF8017.JPG
(300.71 KiB) Downloaded 2429 times
DSCF8018.JPG
(250.65 KiB) Downloaded 2429 times
artington
Imperial Ambassador

Re: Multi interface shoe problems are real

Unread post by artington »

I too am interested in the compatibility issues with this new hot shoe. I would like to use a portable outdoor flash unit with my A7 and over here the Jinbei HD-600V seems to be a cracking unit in terms of bang for buck (the US equivalent is Adorama's Rovelight HD-600, which appears to be based on the Chinese unit). However, in each case, the supplied trigger is incompatible with HSS. Now some say that the Pixelking for Sony will do the trick but there does not seem to be any conclusive answer to this and I am unsure whether it's a hotshot problem. Can anyone here shed any light? (Pun unintended).
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: Multi interface shoe problems are real

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

The issue seems to be the "flash shoe" not the camera hot shoe that sounds odd but MIS flashes are quite useless on other hot shoes where as other flashes can be used on the cameras. In light of this I can't see any reason to invest in MIS flash guns it's actually easier for me to convert i-ISO flashes to a standard hot shoe.

HSS is another topic only specific triggers will do that job I've not come across any but I am sure there are some