Godox TT685S Flash

Cabled, wireless, studio - anything do with using flash
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Godox TT685S Flash

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

So far fairly impressed with this unit I can confirm it works just fine with A mount bodies and via the MIS adapter on the i-ISO bodies not the film ones or the KM5d's I have it doesn't see the aperture and is hit and miss firing (works in wireless though)
I need to do some more testing but so far I would have to say this is one of the best third party flashes I have used overall. Interface is nice to use, build also feels solid and in the one I got the bundle is quite good (you get gels and a stick on Velcro strap to hold them, a fabric diffuser)

It seems to have just about all you want including Master/Slave, optical modes, strobe plus a built in 2.4G wireless. I have to do some more testing on this one. At about £90 it's vastly cheaper than the Sony flash. I was wondering what I would do if my Metz ones died..this is probably the solution for a full featured low cost alternative. Doesn't have the A mode on the Metz flashes but everything else is there.

Any questions fire away :shock:
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Re: Godox TT685S Flash

Unread post by pakodominguez »

I can confirm that this "Godox" flash is one of the best (specially for the price) for Sony.
I bought two from Adorama (http://www.adorama.com/fplfsmzso.html $120) and the Wireless controller (http://www.adorama.com/fprrr2ts.html) and I've been lightly using it, specially as Radio/TTL remotes. Wireless controller trigger up to 3 flashes.
Exposure is right (within the own Sony flash system limitations...), battery consumption also well controlled. The weak part is that... well, is a not expensive flash, the shoe is plastic and is calling to be treat with patience and love. And some times, it loose contact -so the camera tell you that the accessory is not supported -just putting it back on the right position solve this.
There is a version with a rechargeable Li-on battery that is a.- more expensive (because it comes with such battery in the kit) and b.- Battery replacement cost $45 -I definitely prefer to keep using AA Li-On batteries.
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

A warning, I have this flash which is great but also have the Li-ion model, had it for a year in Nikon fit. The Li-ion cell blew up (expanded) during charging and shows up as dead so I had to buy a new one. It had not been used much just lent to one press photographer who covered an event. The Li-ion version may seem a good deal but not with the quality control of these potentially dangerous batteries.

I also have two Bowens IC12 cube lights using Li-ion packs, on loan, and all six packs (four originals, two replacements) are unusable after a year and most have expanded.

David
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

David Kilpatrick wrote:A warning, I have this flash which is great but also have the Li-ion model, had it for a year in Nikon fit. The Li-ion cell blew up (expanded) during charging and shows up as dead so I had to buy a new one. It had not been used much just lent to one press photographer who covered an event. The Li-ion version may seem a good deal but not with the quality control of these potentially dangerous batteries.

I also have two Bowens IC12 cube lights using Li-ion packs, on loan, and all six packs (four originals, two replacements) are unusable after a year and most have expanded.

David
I'm not surprised about the Li-ion packs (this was not the reason I bought the AA version). Anyways, the flash is good and AA Li-ion batteries are reliable.
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bfitzgerald

I have the V860II S in for testing the lithium version. Hard to say with the battery no problems so far. It's near enough identical to the 685-S just faster recycle times. I suppose only long term can you tell on this. I'm not against the idea but I feel it would be wise to include a AA cartridge to allow using AA cells.

I like both flashes neither integrates properly with the TTL wireless flash (and I tried on board flash, Sony flashes and third party ones), main appeal is surely radio. If one of my Metz flashes keeled over I'd probably use the 685S as a replacement getting the bulb changed would cost more than the Godox! They are pretty good flashes if you want the radio built in
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Javelin »

I know this is a pretty old thread but, Barry if you could confirm that this flash will work as a controller on the camera hot shoe for other Sony and Minolta 5600HS's that would be great!
bfitzgerald

I don't have a 5600HSS to test with it. I have not had any luck to get the flash to "consistently fire" as a master commander for the TTL Wireless flash it did a few times then not def. not consistent. Last I checked I did not see a firmware update on their site. I asked the maker and they confirmed that it doesn't work properly with the wireless flash system I suggested they either fix it or remove the menus for that.

I don't know why that is but the Sony HVL-F20M as a mater still not a consistent firing with the Godox flash yet works perfectly with the Metz 58 AF-2's I have (2 units no problems integrating into the system 100% perfect). The Metz units also work perfectly as master units with other flashes or each other. I kept the Metz flashes around because they are fully compatible with the film/older bodies and the Godox doesn't with the KM5d's even on the shoe. I don't use them often but it was a factor.

Despite this I'll put it like this if one of my Metz goes down knowing the bulb replacement cost will be more than a Godox flash I would simply buy the Godox the AA one not the lithium (which is more expensive both are the same in other ways) On the shoe newer cameras excellent exposure and you can use the optical slave manual as a work around for that maybe or just get the radio transmitter which isn't hugely expensive. If I were starting from scratch I would probably get the Godox ones despite the drawbacks as they are good flashes in other ways. Maybe they'll address the TTL Wireless issues I spent a while testing that and that's how it panned out for me. Maybe it works on newer bodies I don't have any to use to test at the moment I'd ebay one Metz but with the I-ISO shoe I'd probably take a hit on the resale so if one dies I'll sell it as a fix it yourself auction ;-). I had the 50-AF1 bulb go didn't even use it that much these are working OK so far.

Much as I like Metz their replacement costs are just excessive unless you want to DIY buy a bulb off them and try it yourself. What I do like is the A mode that is not available on any Sony flashes (the Godox doesn't have it either) it works independently from the metering shuts off like the old school flashes also avoids and pre-flash