Scanner Settings

Minolta scanners, scanner support and replacement choices
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Scanner Settings

Unread post by Dusty »

I bought an Epson 4490 flatbead several months ago, and finally drug it out to scan some photos.

What DPI should I be scanning at for negatives and slides, and what DPI for photos?

Should I stick to 24 bit color, of use 48 bit?

Should I be targeting max DPI from the originals, or just enough to get them to the size I need?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Dusty
sparaxis
Initiate

Re: Scanner Settings

Unread post by sparaxis »

I have a 4490 and this is what works for me:

I use the "advanced" mode of the software.

Paper prints I scan at 600 dpi. there really is not much more even on the sharpest prints. I typically always use 16bit/48 bit. (BW/Color)

For negatives or slides I scan at 4800 dpi and 16bit/48bit.

Important to note is that the actual resolution is equivalent to somewhere around 2400 dpi. (Confirmed by scanning with the 5400 and then downsizing until the finest details were equally sharp) Most scanners that have fixed focus have this issue. It may be possible to raise or lower the image to get a slightly sharper image. Once I have done all my adjustments to the image I downsample to 2400dpi and then convert to 8-bit before saving at the highest JPG quality setting. Hard disk space is cheap so I would rather save at the largest size that retains sharpness than downsize and have to go back and rescan later if I need it bigger. I also save an "internet size" image of everything: After I have saved the full size image I downsize and sharpen the image for screen viewing and then save at a medium compression level

Typically I use the 4490 (or v700) for medium format only. I use the 5400 for 35mm.

Alan
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

For 35mm I find 3600 dpi as more than enough for most emulsions. Never hurts to overscan size wise. Depends on the film, obviously not much point doing ultra high res scans on higher ISO films. Around 3000dpi is probably suitable for many needs

Tried hard to find a difference between 24 and 48bit in print, but I could not see any. At 48bit it will add a lot to your file sizes.
Bruce Oudekerk
Initiate

Unread post by Bruce Oudekerk »

I’m so late in replying that I doubt anyone will read this but thought I’d add my 2 cents.

I see no discrepancy between Barry and Alan’s statement about bit depth. I scan at 16/48 bits and print at 8/24. The reason is that our scanners have an amazing ability to delineate the most subtle tonal variances and 16/48 allows us to stretch the ‘histogram’ and avoid any sort of posterization. However, like Barry I can’t see any difference when printing at excessively high bit depths…you can do it…you just can’t see the difference. I don’t even think it’s a printer hardware limitation but more of a human limitation when perceiving the constrained dynamic range of a printed surface.

So I scan into PS, crop, straighten if necessary and maybe a slight tweak in tonal adjust and save in the full 48 bit depth, thus keeping a pretty much pristine scan. Then I get to work and do whatever really needs to be done in preparation for print, then save again. Often lots of times. I’m a big believer in redundant saves.

Bruce