Alamy and Creative Commons Non-Commercial License

Link to your work for constructive help, criticism or advice from the Photoclubalpha community
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
springm
Oligarch

Alamy and Creative Commons Non-Commercial License

Unread post by springm »

I have a question regarding Alamy and the usage of the Creative Commons Non-Commercial License.

Since my first flickr days I use the Creative-Commons ByLine Non-Commercial Share-Alike License for my work. I want this to enable for example NGO's to use those pictures for illustrative purposes, but to restrict commercial usage, enabling this only with a license agreement with me as the proprietor.

The question is if this is compatible with the Alamy business model.

Any hints would be appreciated

Markus
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: Alamy and Creative Commons Non-Commercial License

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Since Alamy is non-exclusive, anything including giving your work away free on the street is compatible with their business model. Basically, you can't sell work as Rights Managed/Protected if it is sold under any other form of license. But you can sell it as L (Licensed) or Royalty Free (RF) no matter what other outlets you may have. Caveat emptor applies here. Since Flickr images are rarely the same as the 48MB+ versions you will create for Alamy, you are not actually selling the same image file.

David
springm
Oligarch

Re: Alamy and Creative Commons Non-Commercial License

Unread post by springm »

David, thanks. For a non native speaker, the Alamy terms of service were not completely understandable