Help me choose 12 photos

Link to your work for constructive help, criticism or advice from the Photoclubalpha community
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Re: Help me choose 12 photos

Unread post by bakubo »

Dr. Harout wrote:Henry, I was kidding. :)
Yes, I knew you were. :)
Few are those who reply to posts individually, and that speaks of the person's aristocracy and politeness. So I was just waiting my turn... BTW, aristocracy in the positive sense.
Grand respect.
I plan to respond to the other people in this thread when I get a chance. I think later today. It is time to go to the beach for my daily swim now and that has the priority for the moment. :) I appreciate their posts very much so I don't want them to think I am ignoring them.
paulmurphy
Grand Caliph

Unread post by paulmurphy »

What an interesting set of photos - like going back in time.

My choice of the six to drop would be 3,9,13,15,16,17

Just my gut feeling on looking at the images for a while (although if I return in a few days it may be competely different).

Please let us know what your final choice is, and how you get on with publishing.

Best wishes

Murph
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

jbtaylor wrote:With all due respect, I tend to make choices about images immediately. Therefore, I would drop 7, 13, and 15. This is no more than a yes or no look at what I think are fantastic and meaningful images. I cannot provide more specific feedback as you have shown a real understanding of what needs to be done.
Thank you very much for your opinion! I really should make a decision by tonight or tomorrow morning. I will be giving it all more thought today. Any opinions about post-processing, etc.?
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Birma wrote:Very interesting series. Not wanting to be too controversial, but I'd like to put a vote in for the the Nike t-shirt picture. I think the contrast between one of the current mega brands, and the rest of the picture(s) is really interesting and starts a whole new narrative beyond how fascinating it is to see people living in such a different way.
Thank you for your comments! The highlands people in Irian Jaya (at that time, at least) usually had only their traditional penis gourds (men) and grass skirts (women), but on occasion we would see someone with an old t-shirt or something. Yes, the little boy had the Nike shirt, but no Nike shoes, no shoes at all! :)
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

springm wrote:What I would dismiss (which means dismissing the ones that are only a tad less excellent then the others)

3 - similar pose as #2, and I do prefer the single portrait here
Yes, this way of holding their arms was common in the mornings -- children and adults.
5 - the least excellent of the kids pics in comparison
Hmm, this is a tough one for me. For years I have liked this photo a lot. It was lightly raining and this little boy was hiding under the old shirt with his mother and baby looking on. It is so hard to objective about my own stuff. :( Here is the photo so others can see what we are talking about:

7 - because 6 is stronger when cropped
Do you mean in the way I cropped it in my earlier response to Sonolta? Somehow it seems too tightly cropped to me and I lose the body of the little boy looking around the small tree. Again, so difficult.
9 - not happy with the pose, especially the elbows
I have been leaning towards eliminating 9 and keeping 18, but you think I should eliminate both?
15 - it for sure is interesting but depending on the print size maybe not enough structured
Yes, this one is difficult to figure out at a smaller size and in B&W. The original is in color so the bloody pig carcass, green grass, etc. are more easily differentiated. I understand your thoughts on this and agree.
18 - the lady is included, albeit less prominent, in 13, and this tells me more about the family
I like 13 quite a lot, but actually the man in the foreground is a bit soft with the woman, baby, and boy in sharp focus. :( Just not enough time to carefully adjust for proper dof and no time to shoot another frame. I look at National Geographic photos a lot going back to when I first became interested in photography in the early 1970s. Many, many of their images are not technically perfect, have focus that is a bit off, unsharp corners, etc. so this flaw in this photo makes me wonder what I should do.
Difficult to select from these as the overall level is so high.
Thank you very much.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

aster wrote:14 is very nice though with the bow and all the smiling faces, if the man in the shorts can be cloned out of the image.
I cropped 14 a bit. Unfortunately, with the crop I lose the forked tip of the arrow. :( What do you think?

Here it is before the crop:

KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

Oh, you've got to keep the arrow tip! And that man in the background balances the image by adding some more interest to justify that width. Sure, the man in shorts doesn't match the primitive dress of the others, but he gives good scale and depth to the background when he is present, and I like the complete context of the original image.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

KevinBarrett wrote:Oh, you've got to keep the arrow tip! And that man in the background balances the image by adding some more interest to justify that width. Sure, the man in shorts doesn't match the primitive dress of the others, but he gives good scale and depth to the background when he is present, and I like the complete context of the original image.
Thank you! You confirmed what I thought when I made the original crop, but after someone said they didn't like it I started to have some doubts. If I decide to include this photo I will keep my original crop.
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

I second Yildiz' opinion on the last shot. Forget the fork shaped arrow. You don't have to show every detail, let the viewer imagine a bit.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

:D Thanks for the support Doc.

Hi bakubo,

You, no doubt have all the right to act as you wish, and I will spend no time trying to change your mind. But it's also for your publication decision that I interfered at all. Being 12 in number I assumed you were selecting for a calender which made me look through the eye of a consumer. I'd rather see the most authentic appearance available today which actually is abundant in the majority of your shots.

And, no, you need not crop the arrow fork tip but clone the man out and keep more of the vegetation in the distance. But again, the decision is for you to make.
Had the publication reason been for a documentary, I'd would not even ask for the changes I proposed earlier. A documentary has to stay true to provide the facts of these genuinely primitive people and the new passages of changes they may be acquiring one way or an other. And the man with the green pipe in place of gourd would make the heart of the changes in such a documentary/book. But I followed through the years that a 12 page calender always had a theme to it where as a documentary is more liberated with selection of factual matters.

Well, you heard the basis for my initial idea! :D
But decisions are yours to make, so good luck.

Yildiz
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

bakubo wrote:
springm wrote:What I would dismiss (which means dismissing the ones that are only a tad less excellent then the others)

3 - similar pose as #2, and I do prefer the single portrait here
Yes, this way of holding their arms was common in the mornings -- children and adults.
5 - the least excellent of the kids pics in comparison
Hmm, this is a tough one for me. For years I have liked this photo a lot. It was lightly raining and this little boy was hiding under the old shirt with his mother and baby looking on. It is so hard to be objective about my own stuff. :( Here is the photo so others can see what we are talking about:

7 - because 6 is stronger when cropped
Do you mean in the way I cropped it in my earlier response to Sonolta? Somehow it seems too tightly cropped to me and I lose the body of the little boy looking around the small tree. Again, so difficult.
9 - not happy with the pose, especially the elbows
I have been leaning towards eliminating 9 and keeping 18, but you think I should eliminate both?
15 - it for sure is interesting but depending on the print size maybe not enough structured
Yes, this one is difficult to figure out at a smaller size and in B&W. The original is in color so the bloody pig carcass, green grass, etc. are more easily differentiated. I understand your thoughts on this and agree.
18 - the lady is included, albeit less prominent, in 13, and this tells me more about the family
I like 13 quite a lot, but actually the man in the foreground is a bit soft with the woman, baby, and boy in sharp focus. :( Just not enough time to carefully adjust for proper dof and no time to shoot another frame. I look at National Geographic photos a lot going back to when I first became interested in photography in the early 1970s. Many, many of their images are not technically perfect, have focus that is a bit off, unsharp corners, etc. so this flaw in this photo makes me wonder what I should do.
Difficult to select from these as the overall level is so high.
Thank you very much.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Dr. Harout wrote:I second Yildiz' opinion on the last shot. Forget the fork shaped arrow. You don't have to show every detail, let the viewer imagine a bit.
Yeah, this is such a subjective thing and everyone has different opinions. So far, 48 people have given me their opinions (friends via email also) and, as you would expect, everyone had different opinions. Any particular photo might be one person's favorite and the next person's least liked. Oh well, this has been an interesting exercise for me. :)
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

paulmurphy wrote:My choice of the six to drop would be 3,9,13,15,16,17
Thanks, Murph! Yes, I will post back here when I make my final decision. I need to do that today!
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Yildiz, I certainly didn't intend to hurt your feelings. I appreciate very much your feedback. As I have discovered after getting feedback from 48 people though is that generally everyone disagrees with each other. :) A few of the photos have gotten more votes to be eliminated, but the truth is no photo has gotten less than 4 votes to be eliminated. All of this has helped to think more clearly though and I will choose the 12 today. This is not for a calendar. Thank you!
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

bakubo wrote:Yildiz, I certainly didn't intend to hurt your feelings. I appreciate very much your feedback. As I have discovered after getting feedback from 48 people though is that generally everyone disagrees with each other. :) A few of the photos have gotten more votes to be eliminated, but the truth is no photo has gotten less than 4 votes to be eliminated. All of this has helped to think more clearly though and I will choose the 12 today. This is not for a calendar. Thank you!
Hello there! :D

Bakubo, you definitely did not hurt my feelings. :) Please feel free to do as you please and maybe someday we'll be able to see the finalized project too!
I just wished to let you know the path I took while going over the photos. It must be a naturally hard process to listen to others and make up your own mind.

Good luck! :D

Yildiz