Frosty Dawn

Link to your work for constructive help, criticism or advice from the Photoclubalpha community
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Frosty Dawn

Unread post by Birma »

The weather forecast predicted clear skies this morning so I was up and out early to try and make the most of it.

Tamron 17-50/2.8 @ 20mm ISO100, F13, 1/1.3 sec, +2.0 EV, 2 x stacked ND Grad filters (on a tripod and I forgot to turn off the SSS :( )
It was quite tricky to balance the white frosty stubble against the bright sky. The in-camera JPG and matched the raw, but the TIFF that IDC output (unadjusted) seem to warm up the WB - perhaps this was just me, but it took some fiddling in Elements to get the colours back to how I remembered them.

Minotla 35-70/4 @ 70mm ISO100, F8, 1/100 sec
I always find these very photogenic plants - I was a bit late to get the frost on them though.

C&C welcome.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
bonneville
Grand Caliph

Re: Frosty Dawn

Unread post by bonneville »

Birma wrote:The weather forecast predicted clear skies this morning so I was up and out early to try and make the most of it.
And well worth the effort Image.
Birma wrote:... on a tripod and I forgot to turn off the SSS
I keep reading conflicting reports about the need to do this. I always leave SSS on when mounted on a tri or bi pod and haven't noticed any difference when I've experiemented with either option.

Brian
Links to my: Flickr Blog Twitter
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Birma, you've done it again. Wonderful shot (the first, I mean). I tried to crop it a bit but went back to the way you did.
Excellent my friend. :D
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Hawk
Oligarch

Unread post by Hawk »

Love the first one. I hope for sunny weather tomorrow so I can get my camera and go out for a walk.

BTW, DSLR newbie question: can swapping lenses at -10 celsius or less do any harm to camera?
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Many thanks for your comments Bonneville, Doc and Hawk.
Dr. Harout wrote:I tried to crop it a bit but went back to the way you did.
I struggled with cropping the picture. I wasn't entirely happy, especially with the horizon half way down the frame. The final square shape was a compromise. I'm probably not spending long enough framing the shot before I take it.
Hawk wrote:BTW, DSLR newbie question: can swapping lenses at -10 celsius or less do any harm to camera?
Sorry Hawk, as another newb I'm not sure about this. I'm usually too nervous to swap lenses outside anyway :oops: I used to have problems with P&S cameras having their batteries die in colder temperatures, but I've yet (fingers crossed) to have the same problem with the A100.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Dr. Harout

Hawk wrote:BTW, DSLR newbie question: can swapping lenses at -10 celsius or less do any harm to camera?
Not that I know of. I made several shots outside even below -10 deg C, changing lenses even to with M42 adapter. Nothing bad happened... except for frozen fingers... :lol:

Flickr
Hawk
Oligarch

Unread post by Hawk »

Birma wrote:Sorry Hawk, as another newb I'm not sure about this. I'm usually too nervous to swap lenses outside anyway :oops:
I was to nervous to swap lenses outside too. I usually was changing them in car or inside buildings. Had some story with dust on sesnor too (search through forum should get it). But now I just swap them no matter where, maybe except extremly windy conditions. As for dust on sensor... its still there but doesn't bother me anymore. If it does then I clone it out in PP.
Dr. Harout wrote:Not that I know of. I made several shots outside even below -10 deg C, changing lenses even to with M42 adapter. Nothing bad happened... except for frozen fingers... :lol:
Thanks for the info Doc. I'll give it a try :) Unfortunately its snowing a little here again and not a single ray of sunlight breaks through clouds :(
Dr. Harout

Two things to do when changing lenses:
1- keep the mount side of the camera towards the bottom
2- always shut down before removing any lens, it might act as magnetic dust absorber.

And there's one more point:
3- I might be wrong :lol: (but I always perform the first 2 points).

Flickr
bossel
Viceroy

Unread post by bossel »

Both are great and wonderfully cropped.
MFS
Heirophant

Unread post by MFS »

Wonderful first shot.