First sports outing

Link to your work for constructive help, criticism or advice from the Photoclubalpha community
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

First sports outing

Unread post by Javelin »

Well I've gone out and shot my first sporting event which was an adult basket ball game in a highschool gym. I took over 500 frames and quckly going through them I'll probably have 150-200 keepers maybe more. and theres some nice action sequences in there too... but also a lot of elbows armpits and shoulders in some.. The reason for my post is that I'd like some tips on processing these and pictures like them. they range from ISO 1600-6400. there all bright and have good white ballance and most are resonably sharp. even at 6400 I was only able to get 1/200s -1/250s exposures could have used a little faster shutter there. I tried to use primes but being a HS gym I was right on the side of the court and the lenses were either way short or way long. in hind sight I should have just shot the action from a conveinient location near one of the keys with one of my primes (2 macro's and a 50) but instead I tried shootting all the action at both ends and centre court. I ended up using my 28-135 the most and that was at iso6400 to cover that easier it's a perfect range for that but too bad it isn't faster.ACDsee knocks the noise down pretty well but I see better result on the same kinds of noise elsewhere and wonder how I could acheive that. I will post a few samples as soon as I have permission from the people in them or I'll just burn the faces out of some to post examples. in the mean tome your thoughts are apreciatd
Javelin

Re: First sports outing

Unread post by Javelin »

Well I haven't heard back from the guy so I picked 3 shots that don't really show anything identifiable. not the best shots I'm afraid but theres a 1600, 3200 and 6400 iso example.

thanks

http://www.uranium-238.com/~stf/Glenn/ball/ball.zip
Last edited by Javelin on Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

well belatedly I got permission..

heres one I got a chuckle from

Another one with more action iso 3200
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

Thanks I'll post a couple more taking what you've said into account. don't worry about the raws for these theres better shots to be had in this set. I mainly wanted to see how to deal with the noise and sharpening. but I know now that ACDSee isn't the right thing to be using for that
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

These 2 are from the rapidly expanding keeper pile. i'm pitching anything worse than the first one and the other one is about the best so far. both are iso 6400. I know the WB is slightly diferent on these 2 but I'll get the right one and copy it to all the images. I processed these 1 at a time, both are cropped a bit but I think I did better with the noise on the 2nd one than the first which was cropped further.

Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

Sorry this takes a while. The fastest connection I can get out here is a 1mb Wimax connection.. reliable as hell but man.. wish I could get at least 3mbit

http://www.uranium-238.com/~stf/Glenn/2.zip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

did you do those 3 things all in raw or just the ACR and NI ?
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

do you crop and sharpen the final jpg or in raw before, and do you do it again after it's a jpg? i've always done as much as I can in raw then only fix whatever went wrong in the jpg conversion after.
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

Thanks ..o much to learn. the CS3 copy I have is not mine. and I will have to give it back at some point. The ones I have posted here were done with bibble so I'll try both and see. if I have to layout for CS3 then I guess I will but was hoping to avoid that bit of unpleasantness.
stevecim
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by stevecim »

Nice work on the noise Don, I had a play with DxO and Noise Ninja, but I could not get the final results retaining has much detail has you did.

Guess I need to practice more :)