Portrait .. strobist style (C&C plz)

Link to your work for constructive help, criticism or advice from the Photoclubalpha community
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
adakshi
Oligarch

Portrait .. strobist style (C&C plz)

Unread post by adakshi »

My colleague visited us on Friday. Took several pics in strobists style(trying to). C&C please

#2(Reflection from her glasses are little distracting)

All are taken with A700, 58 flash, either 50 1.7 or 70-200. Very little PP
(spot removal, slight USM)
--
Thanks
Ayan
Sony A900, A77, SAL-1680Z, SAL-70200G, SAL-135F18Z, SAL-50F14, HVL-58AM
adakshi
Oligarch

Re: Portrait .. strobist style (C&C plz)

Unread post by adakshi »

Looks like these are not at par :).

BTW, I used just one flash, one home made big white reflector and some A4 white papers to create fill light and hair light.

My first attempt.

Thanks
Ayan
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

They are pretty good lighting wise but the composition is a bit close - for traditional portraiture, it's usual to allow a little more space. This makes them very direct, but also a little too sharp I think, which is partly a result of the qualities of the flash. Also, the question of eye contact versus 'eyes averted' is a difficult one. There is a sense that the subject is avoiding looking at the camera, but not concentrating on anything else. This looks a bit self-conscious. If eyes are not engaged with the camera, they should be more clearly looking to one side at another spot.

This has no bearing on the technical quality of the images which is good. You just need to study portraiture a bit more.

David
adakshi
Oligarch

Unread post by adakshi »

David Kilpatrick wrote:They are pretty good lighting wise but the composition is a bit close - for traditional portraiture, it's usual to allow a little more space. This makes them very direct, but also a little too sharp I think, which is partly a result of the qualities of the flash. Also, the question of eye contact versus 'eyes averted' is a difficult one. There is a sense that the subject is avoiding looking at the camera, but not concentrating on anything else. This looks a bit self-conscious. If eyes are not engaged with the camera, they should be more clearly looking to one side at another spot.

This has no bearing on the technical quality of the images which is good. You just need to study portraiture a bit more.

David
Thanks David. My model was my colleague, and she was not comfortable in posing. I tried to distract and then take pics as it would reveal her natural pose. It's really hard to make someone relaxed :). That's why I like kids :)

Thanks
Ayan
adakshi
Oligarch

Unread post by adakshi »

This could have been better shot if focused properly

What about this one?

No flash used, just overhead CFL tubes and paper reflector. Used gray card to correct WB.

Thanks
Ayan
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

The second shot is pretty good. Again, it's a very frame-filling portrait, best suited to a small print. My professional magazine readers are often trying to sell 30 x 40 inch wall portraits, and they never shoot so close - because no-one ever wants anything larger than a 10 x 8 with such a tight framing! I appreciate the first shot is more 'candid', but not to any valuable effect. The second shot holds the viewer better, and is more flattering.

The best photographer I know of Indian/Asian women in the UK is Maz Mashru, in Leicester. He is probably the leading portrait photographer working mainly within his own community (his studio is right in the heart of Leicester's Indian district). I've been to two or three seminars by Maz in the past. See: http://www.mazmashru.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - look at the model portfolio tab, and the rest as well.

I guess including Gordon Brown and Tony Blair amongst his glamorous subjects is a bit of a let-down - you can guess that Maz is also quite active in local politics! He must be close to retirement now but as a business owner, I'm sure he will keep on well past the normal age anyway.

David