Group Shots

Link to your work for constructive help, criticism or advice from the Photoclubalpha community
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Group Shots

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

I have a job on sat morning. There is a charity walk, and they require a few group shots (and some other mini group shots, + whatever I want to experiment with, individual ones etc)
Location is here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bantry" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In the main square, as we can see there are around 3 major features there, the statues are 2 and the anchor is the other one. I will be talking to the person who is arranging things later today, to see if they have a preference for any of those landmarks to be in the shot (they might not want one, but I suspect they do)
Forecast is cloudy for sat morning, though a chance of a light shower..shouldn't be a major problem, time is early about 09:00
Around 20 people in the group
So here is the problem, I don't like group shots! And I am not afraid to ask for some help on this one!
What I am trying to do is get something decent, but avoid the "firing line" group shot I detest so much. I was thinking of a few variations such as:

1: The "huddle", in other words the group bunched up together, I find a higher vantage point (bench etc) and work on that, informal
2: Mini groups, around 5 people per group arranged near to each other, but not super tight, around one of the landmarks
3: Normal arrange around the statue or landmark evenly, with front people kneeling down etc, but maybe a curve to it rather than dead straight. Usual tall people inside small outside strategy

I admit I have avoided group shots in the past, and have done workarounds..aka take them in smaller groups or more candid shots. This time however I cannot, and I want to do something good, because they are paying me ;-) Time isn't a major problem, they are not on a strict schedule, I would say I have 20-30mins if I need it. I know from past experiences, that you have to move people and set it up yourself, no problems on that, vocal commands don't work! I found that out the hard way.

If anyone has any ideas, or suggestions/advice etc, or even some examples, I would greatly appreciate your help!
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: Group Shots

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Spent five minues reading that wiki page - lovely place, didn't visit it when we were staying in Cork in 2006. Pity!

I would only do a group of 20 from a true high vantage point, in this case I'd try to arrange to shoot from a 1st floor window, have the group below and the square behind them as a scene.

For smaller groups the anchor is no doubt the best possible prop. The other statues are too high, you would just see the plinth and both are ugly. The anchor could actually work in a group, allowing reclining/resting/behind/in front arrangement within the small group, and providing two opposed diagonal lines to liven up the composition as well as a really lovely curve.

David
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Javelin »

Here is Alber from DPR's web site.

He does a lot of group work. you may pick something up looking through his group samples

http://www.pbase.com/apy_jr/groups" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

I agree that the anchor is you r photo spot. From the picture it's hard to see if there is anything except benches to give you a high vantage point. The photo on the wiki is at such an angle I had to twist my monitor to really see how it looked - maybe you can give them a better one!

Perhaps you can bring a small stepladder to help? Get 4 or 5 feet off the ground, with some sitting on the arm (lower bar) of the anchor, (see http://www.indiana.edu/~scuba/spanchor/saterms.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) and some leaning against the shank, you may be able to get them all arranged nicely.

Dusty
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Thanks for the feedback, I was thinking the anchor might be the best bet. No time to arrange a shoot from a building..but I will try a few around the anchor, and a huddle type one or a few mini groups too.