Go into the Stroblist Light

Link to your work for constructive help, criticism or advice from the Photoclubalpha community
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Mike
Oligarch

Go into the Stroblist Light

Unread post by Mike »

Tring to learn from the Stroblist. This is my first serious attampt at a single off camera flash.
Single Flash.jpg
DSLR-A350 - SAL2470Z
f/2.8
1/125 sec
ISO-400
AP
70 mm

HVL-F56AM reflected off a Westccott45" Sliver/Black

ARW converted to jepg via DXO then resized in CS4

Comments and suggestions please!
Mike
Oligarch

Re: Go into the Stroblist Light

Unread post by Mike »

No responses ... can no one tell me how to make it better, is it that good or so bad there is no hope?
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Javelin »

He looks good I think maybe the light on his face is a little too strong. did you try it with a light from the upper left instead to put his body into shadow a bit? I think the brightly lit body is competeing a bit with his face.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

I think the light position has been well-chosen here, but the source is too contrasty. The 45 inch is very large, but silver reduces a lot of the softness. A 32 inch white shoot-through would be easily to work with physically, and can be placed closer to the subject (overall, it needs maybe six feet less working space in a room to get the same light quality). The softer light does not alter the shadow modelling but reduces the contrast between the white and dark fur a little. Raw processing with some highlight recovery might also help. A double scrim white nylon shoot-through is preferable to a single skin type, but harder to find, I think the Westcott white nylon are single.

David
Mike
Oligarch

Take Two

Unread post by Mike »

Repositioned flash to put the shadow behind her body as suggested. I think that is an improvement. I shot the flash through a white umbrella as suggested and I think the contrast is better.
DSC02729_DxO_raw.jpg
DSLR-A350 - SAL85F14Z
f/7.1
1/125 sec
ISO-100
AP
85 mm

HVL-F56AM shot through a Wrestcott 45" Optical White Satin

ARW converted to jepg via DXO then resized in CS4

You can see the umbrella and the built in flash in the reflections from her eyes.
DSC02729_DxO_raw.jpg
Thanks for the suggestions. Any additional ones would be greatly appreciated.

Mike
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Javelin »

NIce work. I think it's better too. now you need to teach her to pose for you :) The he told me to stay here but now I don't know what do to do look is great though.