i1 D2 laptop calibration .. Help please

Link to your work for constructive help, criticism or advice from the Photoclubalpha community
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
adakshi
Oligarch

i1 D2 laptop calibration .. Help please

Unread post by adakshi »

Hello,

Just bought i1 Display 2. While calibrating my laptop monitor, what white point do I choose 'Native' or 'D65'. If I choose D65, I get greenish cast and warm tone.
I left luminance as is and gamma chose as 2.2. I am using PC.

if I choose native gamma and native white point, change is minimal and pics look good to me.

Help please.

Thanks
Ayan
Sony A900, A77, SAL-1680Z, SAL-70200G, SAL-135F18Z, SAL-50F14, HVL-58AM
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: i1 D2 laptop calibration .. Help please

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Use native gamma and whitepoint. That way, the least possible compression of the range occurs - the profile produced will still ensure accurate display.

David
adakshi
Oligarch

Unread post by adakshi »

David Kilpatrick wrote:Use native gamma and whitepoint. That way, the least possible compression of the range occurs - the profile produced will still ensure accurate display.

David
Thanks David. I am using native gamma and whitepoint and leaving brightness as is. Now I'll print some of my images 8 by 12 and see if they matches my screen, at least color wise. I have downloaded printer profile, so if I soft proof with PS, print should match pic seen in PS, right.

Just noticed that with native gamma and WP calibration, I am getting less magenta cast in LR, so, with earlier setting, with green-magenta compensation, I was getting a bit yellow-greenish cast in print. Now since my screen is correct, I am not compensating green-magenta, so prints should be accurate.

one more question, does window default to sRGB if restarted? if so, Can we keep older setting?

Thanks
Ayan
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

I don't think Windows defaults to sRGB except for 'dumb viewing'. Lightroom should always use the space you have set - Adobe Colour Settings for the whole creative suite. This should cover Bridge, Lightroom, all apps. If you restart Windows, it should not affect this. Also, if you saved a monitor calibration, Windows will use that for display even though sRGB will be the default assumed colour space for unprofiled sources and non-colour-aware apps. When you restart, it should still be using your saved monitor ICC profile.

David
UrsaMajor
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by UrsaMajor »

David Kilpatrick wrote: I don't think Windows defaults to sRGB except for 'dumb viewing'. Lightroom should always use the space you have set - Adobe Colour Settings for the whole creative suite. This should cover Bridge, Lightroom, all apps. If you restart Windows, it should not affect this. Also, if you saved a monitor calibration, Windows will use that for display even though sRGB will be the default assumed colour space for unprofiled sources and non-colour-aware apps. When you restart, it should still be using your saved monitor ICC profile.
If I correctly understand the Adobe literature, Lightroom does its internal processing in the ProPhoto space, but uses the space selection of Windows - and any calibration installed - for the monitor display. Exports and printer files are in whatever spaces are chosen for those purposes. I believe that the default for each of those is sRGB, but it's been long enough since I installed Lightroom and began using it that I am not certain that this is correct.

With best wishes,
- Tom -
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Lightroom and Photoshop do their processing in 16-bit L*a*b colour space which is not profiled (I am not sure whether the latest versions may use 32-bit), but absolute - it's bigger than ProPhoto, but ProPhoto is the best way to get as much of it as possible. If you set Lightroom to export to ProPhoto space, and save files with this profile, you get the most complete version for repurposing. However, no computer can display ProPhoto space on screen (not many can display AdobeRGB). The Windows monitor profile will always be used for display as you say, and other presets (within Lightroom/CS4) will determine RGB and CMYK printer handling, PDF profile, web profile. The RGB printer profile is only used during the printing process, sRGB is used when saving for web or creating web galleries.

David
adakshi
Oligarch

Unread post by adakshi »

David Kilpatrick wrote:I don't think Windows defaults to sRGB except for 'dumb viewing'. Lightroom should always use the space you have set - Adobe Colour Settings for the whole creative suite. This should cover Bridge, Lightroom, all apps. If you restart Windows, it should not affect this. Also, if you saved a monitor calibration, Windows will use that for display even though sRGB will be the default assumed colour space for unprofiled sources and non-colour-aware apps. When you restart, it should still be using your saved monitor ICC profile.

David
Thanks David, looks like it is using monitor calibration profile for viewing irrespective of embedded profile in pics.

Thanks
Ayan
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

You can easily check whether the monitor profile is being correctly used with profiled files. Just save an sRGB file, a ProPhoto file, and an aRGB file. Open three windows. If the monitor profiling and colour management is working properly, they should all look identical, and print identically (give or take some VERY small differences).

David
adakshi
Oligarch

Unread post by adakshi »

David Kilpatrick wrote:You can easily check whether the monitor profile is being correctly used with profiled files. Just save an sRGB file, a ProPhoto file, and an aRGB file. Open three windows. If the monitor profiling and colour management is working properly, they should all look identical, and print identically (give or take some VERY small differences).

David
Thanks David,

I exported same image from cRAW to Jpeg from LR, one with Adobe RGB and another with sRGB. When opened, I do see some difference, in Adobe RGB, it is less orange, I mean Orange saturation is less than that in sRGB. Also I see a subtle difference between what I see in LR and what I see after jpeg conversion. Seems like LR doesn't use my monitor profile in it's thumbnail view.

Thanks
Ayan