How would you shoot a scene like this?

Link to your work for constructive help, criticism or advice from the Photoclubalpha community
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

How would you shoot a scene like this?

Unread post by Javelin »

I came across a scene that I thought at first would make an interesting picture but I can't figure out the best way to shoot it. I'll have to draw a mental picture for you because it was dark and raining pretty hard and being short of time.. I didn't take any test shots. .. if there is interest in this subject I may go back and do that if it's needed.

This is a metal/cinder-block utility type building thats been abandoned for a while. it's too far back off the highway and on low ground so it's hidden, it's had everything from body shops and lawn tractor/used car dealers in there. it's in pretty bad shape and looks like it's been broken into very often. it's got a single gable roof and a large showroom area in front of it with glass entry doors in the middle and enough space for say one car on either side of the doors and probably offices behind that area. A parking in the front about 100 feet or so deep and a driveway around the right with a raised embankment to the right of that on top of which there is an access road. long grass, trash around, a sign for whatever unfortunate business last died there over the top of the door etc. The glass is dirty and probably damaged in places. You can't see well from the front but since the glass extends down the sides of the showroom you can see right through there to the outside.

the reason I think this is interesting is that it's a pretty dilapidated sight but in the right hand side of the showroom behind a large dead leafy palm type of office tree there is a bright red Ferrari 308 in very nice condition sitting with the hood (front storage area) swung up as if it's being shown to a prospective buyer.

My fist idea was to shoot in the dark or dusk from the front of the building across to wards the right (that is shooting west) with a wide angle to get part of the sign, peaked roof, and front doors in the frame as well as lighting the car with wireless flash through the left window panes so it can be seen through the very dirty front glass. I don't think I'll be able to light the car like you would see a showroom piece lit but I'm not sure I'd want to, also I'm not sure of the look I should be trying to apply here. It's like there is a story there I just don't know how to tell it, and thought it would be fun to see what your opinions are instead of just taking a bunch of marginal shots then soliciting advice on them afterward
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: How would you shoot a scene like this?

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Abadoned red Ferrari? It wouldn't be there for long in Britain!

David
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

it's a weird thing to see. the buildings not secure because the roll up doors in the back hard bashed in and missing panels and the roof is open. It's an old Ferarri too..
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

A Ferrari isn't old, but vintage...
Sometimes just a nice enviroment doesn't make a good photograph. Nor just a perfect technique. You better decide first what's the subject of your photograph and then choose the best composition/light quality and probably models needed in order totake the photograph you are visualizing.

Regards

PS: I just finish a biography of Eduard Weston, so pre-visualizing became important again on my life ;-)
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

pakodominguez wrote:A Ferrari isn't old, but vintage...
HeH!... well in Canada that depends if it's been outside in a winter :)
pakodominguez wrote:PS: I just finish a biography of Eduard Weston, so pre-visualizing became important again on my life ;-)
Thank you, I will read about his technique
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Well, I'm so intrigued now that I think you should just go and shoot it as soon as possible :D I would definately like to see some pictures involving the car amidst the decay. How about from the driver's seat?
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

Well I wouod have to enter the building for that. I just wanted to go and shoot without having to track down and ask permission. but I though iof this after my post last night and it ight be neat to shoot it from inside looking out because i'll get the inside is as ratty as the outside... i'll go over the weekend and see what I can come up with, or just shot some test shots at least.
Birma wrote:Well, I'm so intrigued now that I think you should just go and shoot it as soon as possible :D I would definately like to see some pictures involving the car amidst the decay. How about from the driver's seat?
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

While you are trying to decide how to shoot the scene why not just take a snapshot and show it to us? I would love to see this old dilapidated building with a Ferrari inside. Does someone live there? Why is there a Ferrari in this old building? Does the building look abandoned? Why hasn't the Ferrari been stolen or vandalized?
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

I will. I'll drop by there on sunday and take a few snaps.. There hasn't been anything in that building for a year at least.. This is the first sign that anythings going on there in at least that time.
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

okI got down there today. There is a VW dealer next door and I had to go there this afternoon to pick up a fusebox for a friends car. Anyway the parts guys gave me some background on the building's most recent owner. seems the banks foreclosed on the property. the car was in there and also was seized. seeing it in daylight, I can see how much damage there is to the building. a storm has taken most of the roof sheathing off, theres water damage inside and it looks like maybe some kids got in there and trashed everything else. The car has very little damage. it's sitting on 1 flat tire and someones been under the hood and in the trunk (backward on this car). I can't tell if anythings been stolen off the car but it's a little sad seeing it in there like the last tomato at the grocers.

Heres the building. Sorry I had to stitch 3 images, I only had my 70-300 with me and couldn't get all if it in at once.

Here is the car peeking through the corner. I thought the best shot would be through the front windows to the left of this frame (the glare would have blocked the car in the day) I think it would work and get the part of the sign in too.

And light the car and the inside though these windows here. I want to do it at night because I think sharp bright details everywhere else would take away from it. And it's a little spooky too
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

That car needs to be rescued. If my son was around your area, he'd be tracing the owner, the bank and every other avenue to get that car out of there before it's damaged further.

David
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Amazing that a car like that would be left in a more or less abandoned building. It sure doesn't look secure. How hard would it be for someone to just break the glass and either totally vandalize it or even steal it?
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hi Javelin,

It's amazing that the car is still intact after being abandoned with no one to watch the place.

I don't know if you already finished with photographing the building and the car but I think the building is not that interesting structure-wise to shoot in bright daylight conditions. I think shooting at dusk when the sky is changing colour and casting dark shadows on and around the building would make a good photo if you place your remote flashes around the car, remove the dried plant that obstructs the view of the car when looked from the outside from the corner of the glass enclosure and go outside and shoot from a diagonal position on the road that we see to the right of the building. That way, there'll be no glare, the building will be lost in the shadows but the car will draw all the attention with a nice sky overhead. The car definitely deserves a go at it.

Yildiz
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

Henry: Not hard. I think the back doors are just boraded over. and .. the roof is open. This is a small town and there isn't a lot of vandalizm around to begin with.

Yildiz: My thoughts were along the lines of what your saying. shoot it inthe dark and make the car glow with the flashes so it stande out. I won't enter the building to make changes though.