Critique please

Link to your work for constructive help, criticism or advice from the Photoclubalpha community
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Critique please

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

I managed to get close enough to a dragonfly (Anisoptera) with my SAL50M28 and did this shot. EXIF is embedded.
Not much of PP, except for cropping a bit, unsharp mask and spot removal.

A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Re: Critique please

Unread post by bakubo »

Looks pretty darn good to me. I don't like the bit of grass sticking up on the left side so probably I would crop right there.
stevecim
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by stevecim »

That's close :) nice shot and I agree with cropping the blade of grass out :)
bonneville
Grand Caliph

Unread post by bonneville »

Outstanding Harout.

I also agree about the left crop and it would look good in portrait (although if my portrait looked like that I'd stop drinking :lol: )

Brian
Links to my: Flickr Blog Twitter
Mike
Oligarch

Unread post by Mike »

A bit more DOF or moving the POF forward would make it a better picture. The pattern on the right eye is amazingly sharp. If the left (forward) eye was as sharp as the right (back) in would be a better picture.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Hi Doc - a great shot - you must have been so close that the Dragonfly either likes you or was thinking of you as its prey :lol:

Amazing detail. I like the dragonfly's wing, oof, as the background. For me it really defines the the subject as a dragonfly.

I agree with Mike that the left eye is sort of distracting being smooth or slightly oof.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Thanks everyone. I agree with you on the composition and crop. But can't help for the focus thing. I really should've tried with a very high ISO, e.g. over 1600 to have sufficient d.o.f., but just by looking through the viewfinder and pushing the d.o.f. preview button, the bokeh wasn't so pleasing, and I wanted those wings to be a bit out of focus.
Anyway if I see that dragonfly again, who really took me for some dish menu item :lol: I'll try to shoot with your recommendations in mind.
Thanks a lot. :D
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr