So, what would you do?

Link to your work for constructive help, criticism or advice from the Photoclubalpha community
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Ewannawe
Oligarch

So, what would you do?

Unread post by Ewannawe »

When I took this, lying on my stomach on some wet rocks, and saw it pop up briefly on the lcd screen I thought, 'Wow, that looks good'. Back home converted RAW to Tiff and started to play around with it but time and time again I preferred the original image. So, as the title goes, what would you do with it?

Extra kudos to anyone who can identify it, I've got a few books on wild flowers and I can't see anything like it. You'll note that for a flower it is rather unusual in that it appears to have no leaves?
Reality is merely illusion, albeit a persistent one. ~ Albert Einstein
To be conscious that you are ignorant is a great step to knowledge. ~ Benjamin Disraeli
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: So, what would you do?

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Cyclamen!
Everything is fine except for the out of focus cyclamen on the foreground.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Ewannawe
Oligarch

Unread post by Ewannawe »

Cyclamen it is, thank you. A quick Google images reveals it to be so but is it not odd to throw up flowers like that before any leaves? No wonder I couldn't find them in my WILD flower books (UK), though it has seeded itself here on a rocky path about 30 metres away from the gardens of the house - in that respect it is wild.

As to the out of focus flower, hmm, I'm torn now. I thought it was really adding depth to the picture with both the foreground and background blurred; but as lower left corner of pic is quite sharp also you could be right. I'll try a few crops and see what I can come up with. Thanks for the input. :)
Reality is merely illusion, albeit a persistent one. ~ Albert Einstein
To be conscious that you are ignorant is a great step to knowledge. ~ Benjamin Disraeli
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

Yes, I agree with the Doc. Cut that front flower out as it's a distraction in an otherwise fine photo.

Dusty
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

It's probably a garden escape. It is a wood cyclamen, of the type sold for planting in gardens. We have some under tree shade in leaf litter, and they are very hardy, they do not spread but ours have now survived over 15 years incuding being crushed for two years by building work - they came back. I must check to see if they are out now.

David