waterfall composition and processing.

Link to your work for constructive help, criticism or advice from the Photoclubalpha community
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

waterfall composition and processing.

Unread post by Javelin »

Here are a couple shots of Niagara falls. processed in LR like I would have done before on other software. I'd like opinions of the compositions and the procesing of these. I was happy to be there during the day but there was so much mist it was like fog and the wind was blwing it back towards the observers. I had to sneak past security and get into the lighting tower (they use giant arc light to colour and light the fals at night) to get this vantage point.

aster
Tower of Babel

Re: waterfall composition and processing.

Unread post by aster »

Hi Javelin,

Honestly, I like them and the way you processed them both. The fog, or maybe the spray of water drops in the air is the reality of this attractive nature spot and the bus, lamp posts, crowd of tourists, the nice tree branches on the right are all contributing to the scene making a good composition. There's a good light which enables defined lines and details as well as colours.
The second, as a closer look is also good; clear air and almost everything important for that spot is in the frame.

Thanks for sharing, :)
( The photos are successful because they made me feel as though I was actually standing right where you were standing, taking in the scene)

Yildiz
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

I prefer the second shot for the contrast between the huge wild waterfall right next to the modern man-made world and crowds of people. Must be an amazing noise.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

Thanks for your input folks! I think I like the second one too. I wish I had gotten to spend a couple days there. there is a lot to photograph. and I forgot to get shots of the Minolta tower :/

Birma: It does make a lot of noise but the water drops almost 200' into a gorge and that hides most of the sound. but yur left with the sound of the water going over the edge which is substantial and can be heard for miles. Somone recently asked me if they had shut off the falls for errosion and I didn't see how that could be possible without drowning Detroit, but I see now that they did dam off the US portion which is tiny compared to this and in 1969 they put some errosion control measures in
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hi,

The reason I also liked the first is because it makes for a good photo that can be the cover of a printed tourist guide. Everything a tourist requires information on exists in the frame: the means of public transportation, the red bus; the tower and the skyline of the region; the tourist attraction, the waterfall and its effect; the architecture and the type of trees and greens...etc.

Yildiz
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

I like both. Can't say why, but probably agreeing with Yildiz and Birma.
The water mist which is undoubtedly a very important item in the first shot is absent in the second. But yet the second has a special appeal.
Do you have other shots?
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

Hi Doc

yes I have a bunch. i'll post a few more tonight

thanks