Cropping help

Link to your work for constructive help, criticism or advice from the Photoclubalpha community
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Cropping help

Unread post by Javelin »

I have a photo that was selected for a memorial wall. The requirement is that it be cropped to fit an 8x10 frame (wish that standard would change really) anyway I can't figure out if I can crop this without it loosing something. How would it be if I didn't crop it and just had white or maybe a coloured border wide on the sides and narrow on top and bottom? or do you all think it could survive a crop ?

This is the picture, unedited. the version i'm using will have a little more contrast in the foreground elements.
KevinBarrett

Re: Cropping help

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

I just tried a lot of different crops and I can't make it work without liberally changing the work. All my solutions reduce the file size too significantly or involve cloning.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

rule of thirds always work...
and a little bit of blacks too
;-)
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

Thats kinda what I came away with too but I can't decide if thats the best option or not. you guys are doiing the printing of all these at adoramapix too
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Javelin wrote:Thats kinda what I came away with too but I can't decide if thats the best option or not. you guys are doiing the printing of all these at adoramapix too
If you don't want to crop, you can print it "full frame" with a white border filling the rest of the canavas...
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

how about this?

pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

If you send your image for rinting like that, it will be hard to color/density/contrast correct it because that will change the border's color. Fix first the photograph (your pick needs a little bit of caracter), then add the border.

Regards
Pako
------------
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

oh yes! absolutely. I'm just playing with the jpg I got from the unedited file to get the crop/border or whatever right. I think white might be ok but the frame would have to be dark and I don't know what the frame looks like. You think the coloured border will pull the color correction process in a diferent direction? does it try to average everthing across the whole picture??
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Javelin wrote: You think the coloured border will pull the color correction process in a diferent direction? does it try to average everthing across the whole picture??
We do manually correct every single image unless you order no corrections. In other hand, we usaually don't correct images with custom borders because the corrections affect the border too.

Imagine a photographs with a cold blueish cast and white or gray borders: If we correct the image in order to compensate the cold cast, the border will became yellow (unless we have to take out some density and/or add contrast)

Send me a PM with the order # when you place your order.

Regards
Pako
------------
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

I prefer the slightly cropped version of Pako.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Dusty

Unread post by Dusty »

I cropped it with just a little more foreground than Pako did, but it's hard to balance the foreground and distance at that crop ratio. Perhaps you can talk them into 8x12?

Dusty
DSC00476-2Dusty.JPG
(269.6 KiB) Downloaded 3795 times
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

it's for a memorial an I think the liked the sombre tone of this image. I notice thay passed up on some excellent but more vibrant images. I'll post another go later this evening. Gotta finish some work before I get too tired
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

Dusty I wish I could or supply them with my own frame but the frames already exist and they are just putting the pics in. heres the last thing.

Pako do you think if the border was just white it would affect the colour corrections ?

pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

The white border itself doesn't affect the color correction, but if color correction is needed, the white border risk to be invaded by a color cast.
In this case, I think the image is a little blue/magenta, so I'll add a point of yellow, so the white border might suffer of yellow cast (gut not really, because I'll probably take out a little bit of density too, so that will clean up the whites)
A different image, with a strongest need for color correction, will be much harder to improve and, in those cases, we just leave the image untouched.

Regards
Pako
------------
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

Thanks Pako. I'll send them the image in this form then. I thinkit's the best compromise