Landscape, Colors, Dynamic range...

Link to your work for constructive help, criticism or advice from the Photoclubalpha community
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
PedroDuarte
Initiate

Landscape, Colors, Dynamic range...

Unread post by PedroDuarte »

Take as an example this photo

http://1x.com/photos/member/31643/28740/

How are these colors captured. Is it with multi-exposure, ND graduated ... ?

My main question is how to get shots with this dynamic range, definition ...
I'm asking this because i have some doubts when shooting landscape ... should i go for higher f values to get more deep of field... or lower ... Multi exposures and get the best out of all exposures...

It looks like some PP but either the way, good catch.

I would like to get some feedback on techniques and to do's on landscape shots.

Thank you all
Pedro Duarte
Working with: Sony A550 with: Minolta 24mm f2.8 & 100-200 f4.5, CZ 16-80, Sony 50mm f1.4 and Metz 48 AF-1
Flickr photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/24358740@N07
aster
Tower of Babel

Re: Landscape, Colors, Dynamic range...

Unread post by aster »

Hi Pedro,

The sample photo you linked to seems to be processed through a High Dynamic Range software (HDR).
Most cameras today, including the Alphas support AEB (Automatic Exposure Bracketing). All you have to do is set your camera to AEB mode and it will take at least 3 frames one after the other with an exposure difference of 1/3 or more depending on your camera model and the feature enhancements it accomodates.
Exposure values can go like this: -1/3EV; EV; +1/3EV or -2EV; EV; +2EV...or higher values depending on camera brand and model.

Then of course you need a software like Adobe Photoshop with HDR feature or can purchase a stand-alone HDR software which create such elaborate colours and looks.

I hope this helps.

Yildiz
PedroDuarte
Initiate

I tried to used photomatix, but i don't know why, all the photos look... weird ... not HDR at all ... those "strong colors and contrasts" result in high levels of noise ...

I think it's more my lack of experience than anything else though :)

I need to take some time and explore this more
Pedro Duarte
Working with: Sony A550 with: Minolta 24mm f2.8 & 100-200 f4.5, CZ 16-80, Sony 50mm f1.4 and Metz 48 AF-1
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Actually, it may not be your lack of experience altogether.

Your camera, the A550 only supports, differences of 0,3EV and 0.7EV between frames which don't yield such dynamic ranges. Such photos as you linked to require at least a 2.0EV (exposure value) difference between the frames. 3.0EV and above give even better / more elaborate colour ranges like the ones in the sample photo.

Photomatix is a good software, but definitely requires big exposure values for good results.

Yildiz
PedroDuarte
Initiate

ehehe, so i guess i must go "manual" mode then ... like, under exposing and overexposing it by changing the shutter speed no?
( that sucks :P )

aster wrote:Actually, it may not be your lack of experience altogether.

Your camera, the A550 only supports, differences of 0,3EV and 0.7EV between frames which don't yield such dynamic ranges. Such photos as you linked to require at least a 2.0EV (exposure value) difference between the frames. 3.0EV and above give even better / more elaborate colour ranges like the ones in the sample photo.

Photomatix is a good software, but definitely requires big exposure values for good results.

Yildiz
Pedro Duarte
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

PedroDuarte wrote:ehehe, so i guess i must go "manual" mode then ... like, under exposing and overexposing it by changing the shutter speed no?
( that sucks :P )
Hi Pedro,

Hopefully, there'll be Alphas that have more advanced Automatic Exposure Breacketing options that you'll upgrade to in the future. :) For the moment, as you say, manual settings may be the best option but the noise level, if that high, is a problem of course.

But, I seem to gather that A550 can be pretty noisy itself and when HDR is being processed the shadows and some colour ranges may be overly processed and more apparent.

Now, that's bad and just maybe, a noise-reduction processor can help? ( I do not know the noise levels personally, so this is bound to stay a suggestion...but those who own an A550 can be more precise on the matter )

Yildiz
PedroDuarte
Initiate

Viceroy and all the others. Thank you for the help :)

Well, i can use the noise reduction indeed ... but i'm kind of against it ... but i think i have to change my feeling about noise reduction ... it's a good thing in the end :)

Well, Saturday i will be doing some off-road 4x4 action with a friend. I hope i can get some nice shots and try everything i want to try ...

I'm really tired of this weather ... weather lady told that from today the weather is going to get better ... more cold but less rain ... and after the weekend it will get worst again. So i must take the weekend of to shoot ! :)
Pedro Duarte