Color Balance when it's snowing

Link to your work for constructive help, criticism or advice from the Photoclubalpha community
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Mike
Oligarch

Color Balance when it's snowing

Unread post by Mike »

We had a big snow storm this weekend, big for here anyway, about 20 inches. It's tuff taking pictures in a big snow storm. One of the things I tried, was to shoot out the back door. That kept the snow off the camera but I'm still struggling with the color balance. Using DxO, the normal tricks don't seem to work, either the color picker or any of the preset settings. So far the best results I've gotten are with:
Color Temperature = 6500 K
Tint = -10
snow.jpg
snow.jpg (198.14 KiB) Viewed 3197 times
Any suggestions for color correcting snow storm pictures would be appreciated.
Mike
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: Color Balance when it's snowing

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

Maybe I'm not discerning enough, but the color balance for this shot seems fine. However, I think it might be a tad over-saturated.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Mike
Oligarch

Unread post by Mike »

KevinBarrett wrote:Maybe I'm not discerning enough, but the color balance for this shot seems fine. However, I think it might be a tad over-saturated.
Good call! I think the Exposure Compensation and DxO lighting settings I was using caused it to be over-saturated. This version has color mode - saturation = -10.
snow.jpg
snow.jpg (214.02 KiB) Viewed 3188 times
Mike
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

:? Don't know exactly, but I would've used different settings. You cannot have bright and saturated view under heavy snow. :roll:
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr